Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile broadband software issues

philbrad
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all

My company over the summer has been running a migration project of mobile and 3G devices from BT to Vodafone. My particular area has been 3G devices and the Mobile Broadband connection software installed on our PC's. Majority of devices are new Huewai K4505/K4511 USB 3G modems, we've run similar devices on the BT contract without issue however Vodafone is a whole different kettle of worms.

After initial test proved fine, we've had a number of common issues across a wide spectrum of PC's (we run Windows XP Professional SP1 to SP3 and more recently on new  PC kit is installed with Windows 7 Enterprise SP1) all manifest very similar issues.

• Main issue encountered goes like this. Mobile Broadband software is installed. Mainly 10.1 and 10.2.102 versions. No problems with install. Any oldversions of Mobile Broandband on VMC Lite are removed as is the old BT Access manager software (where applicable.) as a side note the issue manifests on new build PC's also that have had no previous BT/Vodafone conenction software installed. Always reboot after install and reboot with 3G USB device attached. Signed back in set up the software defaults (Vodafone UK, Pay Monthly etc..) Software detects device as enabled, sees good signal strength and a 3G service is detected. We turn off the 'Always best connected' function as well as only showing the Mobile Connection in the 'Connection Types'. Click on CONNECT and device attempts connection. We're then presented with a message (on Windows 7 clients)  :-

Mobile connection not possible.

Ensure that no other applications are using your selected device, and try again in a short while.

No-one so far has given me a definitive theory/explanation as to what can be causing this.

Windows XP clients tend to give use an Error 619 dialogue or Error 638

So, I've run through the troubleshooting suggested in calls to Vodafone's helpdesk and on this forum, uninstalled/reinstalled cleared VODAFONE folder from local profiles (including ALL USERS.) Tried the COM port swtching fix as suggested via the Device Manager in Windows still exactly the same error. This is happening to users and full admins alike so I seriously doubt its a permissions issue on the PC's. The thing simply wont connect using the Vodafone software. In some cases we've actually downgraded the software to version 9.4.6, which seems the most consistant release which has worked on some PC's but this hasn't been a proper fix for the issue for all. 

However I have found with the USB modem inserted, Mobile Broadband software running we can use the Windows RASPHONE.EXE program to create a dial in session with the device (dialling number *99***1#, using WEB/WEB to sign in) this works every single time. This is both on Windows XP and Windows 7 client PC's, such has been the issue we've now established this as a workround for troublesome Vodafone MobileBroadband software our PC's. 

So my deduction is there is no physical issue with the 3G USB modem itself, it interacts with Windows fine, the RASPHONE connection proves this. The issue is with the Vodafone Mobile Broadband software which to say the least I'm not overly impressed with. BT Access Manager which did the same job on our BT contracted 3G devices, worked without fault.  A further twist with this saga is I located the current 10.2.302 version Mobile Broadband software this morning. So i've downloaded it, uninstalled the 10.2.102 version, cleared any cached VODAFONE folders within all profiles on the PC, I've even run CCLEAN application to clear any spurious registry entries that may be left after uninstall. Low and behold exactly the same issue.

• Secondly, another issue that has manifested on a few machines is the Mobile Broadband software will actually connect however there will be no internet connectivity. I'll show a very small BPS being transmitted but no downstream BPS. Checking IP's for the connection I'd expect to see the usual 10.x.x.x.x Vodafone IP address, what we get is a Windows default 169.254.x.x. address. seems a connection is being made but no DHCP address is being allocated. Again RASPHONE connection will work perfectly. We had a similar issue with internal 3G modems in a particular model of Toshiba laptops (Portege A/R600) a couple of years ago which exhibited the same type of error. We got round this by resetting the IP stack with a NETSH command, I've tried this same fix without success.

Myself and a couple of guys in our infrastructure support team have ploughed a good number of hours into this issue and the weak link has been the Vodafone supplied Mobile Broadband software, if I could extract the drivers for these 3G devices and install them in Windows alone using Windows to dial out I would.

If anyone can suggest any further ways in which we can resolve the issue I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Phil Bradley

Interserve IT

5 REPLIES 5

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi philbrad.

Firstly welcome to the Vodafone eForum. It’s always nice to see a new face around here.

There could be different reasons why the VMB (Vodafone Mobile Broadband) software fails to connect. It’s difficult to pool all these together and give a single solution for all the different hardware/software set ups you have.

The RAS errors you are getting, 619 and 638, are again different. The error 619 is usually a timeout error, where a reattempt to connect may resolve the issue. Error 638 has in the past been related to the Microsoft .Net framework, where a repair to this alleviates the issue.

In all cases I do advise you use the latest version of VMB. This will ensure it includes all the fixes for any issues we’re aware of, and all the latest drivers are installed.

If you are getting a specific error, to a specific hardware/ software configuration, its best we know what the error and what OS and hardware are been used, as again, it’ll be difficult to assist.

Let me know how if you’ve any further questions.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Hello philbrad

Does "Mobile connection not possible" error affects all devices or only K4505? If it's K4505 it's possible that you will have to upgrade firmware on the device.

As far as the APIPA address (169.254...) issue, make sure that WWAN AutoConfig service is set to automatic and is running whilst making connection via VMB (Win 7).

Under Connection properties (when modem is plugged in, access connection properties via Windows Network Connections or  Network & Sharing Centre) check if TCP/IP v4 is protocol selected (not IPv6). I believe it's NDIS problem rather than stack (no netsh reset required)

HTH

Thanks for the welcome all

"Does "Mobile connection not possible" error affects all devices or only K4505? If it's K4505 it's possible that you will have to upgrade firmware on the device."

it's all our devices. Our migration was initially to use the K4505 device, this was changed a few days before the start of  the project to use the K4511 device - nothing like a last minute change is there??? I'd say 95+% of our migrated devices were migrated to the K4511. All running 10.2.102 VMB (current version as of June 2011.) Initial tessting was done with 10.1 on Win 7 and XP platforms, using our current spec PC image and both worked as intended. Faults have manifested on old an new machines of differing OS, hardware and manufacturer, we run historically Dell PC's (Win XP), currently with HP (XP/W7) though there are some Lenovo devices (XP/W7) out there as well.

As far as the APIPA address (169.254...) issue, make sure that WWAN AutoConfig service is set to automatic and is running whilst making connection via VMB (Win 7).

Thanks I'll give that a check.

Under Connection properties (when modem is plugged in, access connection properties via Windows Network Connections or  Network & Sharing Centre) check if TCP/IP v4 is protocol selected (not IPv6). I believe it's NDIS problem rather than stack (no netsh reset required)

Yes only IP v4 is utilised, all our connections are currently v4 IP protocols. I have seen similar occurances on Windows XP PC's which have no IP v6 protocol on them.

As an aside I had two of these devices to deal with last Friday both for execs on the same model laptop (HP2540p) one a new Win 7 build the other one of our original XP builds (pre-March 2011) Win 7 VMB (ver 10.2.102) would not work and gave the usual "Mobile Connection Not Possible" error. This though was resolved creating a RASPHONE connection, noted also the  RASPHONE DUN connection 'Vodafone Mobile Broadband' connection the VMB software creates would'nt connect manually either. The Windows XP one has an old version of VMB (9.2 if I recall) this was removed and updated to 10.2.302 and worked fine through VMB no problem, even created a working RASPHONE connection just in case.

Thanks for the input.

Phil

I am having very similar issues to this on 2 very different laptops.  An Advent 9415, 32 bit, running Vista Home Premium Version 6.0.6002,SP 2 Build 6002 and A Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 2727, 32 bit, running Vista HomeBasic, Version 6.0.6002,SP2, Build 6002.  I have downloaded the latest software...........a trial in istelf as I had to download it with my 3 HSPA modem on my advent and transfer it to the Amilo by mempry stick as I cannot access the net at all since the damned thing will not load the drivers.

On having purchsed a K3805 Zand still having trouble, desperate to access the net as I am disabled and Vodafone gives me a signal in bedroom which 3 does not, I went to local store today and bought at K3770modem.  This was the only one they carried in stock I may add and so now am £40+ lighter (which I cannot afford!!!!!) and using all my data allowance on 3 to try and sort this out with Vodafone and still no net!!!!!

I have looked at many online forums and this seems to be a common thread with the newer modems.  There are serious software issues. Perhaps Consumer Direct should be looking at this as there does not seem to be a "fix" as such. 

Up until this time I have had no problems with Vodafone whatsoever but this is just too much. If nothing happens soon I shall demand that one of the technobods come to my home and install these for me as what they tell me to do just does not work!!!!  If they are so sure it should then come, feel free, see for yourself.  These issues are real and, being disabled, affecting my life to a greater degree.

Please somebody, lets get this sorted as a matter of urgency!!!!!:womanmad:

Hi ellesbelles,

Thank you for posting, I can understand your concern here.

So that I can assist you further, can you please let me know exactly what steps you're taking to connect and also what error messages you're experiencing? This will help me narrow down what the issue could be.

In the meantime, I'd recommend setting up a manual dial-up connection which will connect without the use of the VMB/VMC software. This can be done as follows:

• Firstly, ensure the modem is plugged in and that the VMB/VMC software is fully closed
  • Go to Start > Control Panel
  • Open Phone and Modems (you may need to switch to classic view to do this)
  • Click the Modems Tab (if it asks for location info, fill this in first)
  • Highlight the Vodafone modem (it will be listed as either Huwaei or ZTE and will have a COM port attached)
  • Click Properties
  • Click Change Settings, followed by the Advanced Tab
  • In the extra initialisation command field type in at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet" (if using a prepay modem add ppbundle. before internet within the speech marks)
  • Press OK and then go back to the Control Panel
  • Go to Network and Sharing Centre
  • Create a new Dial-up internet connection with the following settings
  • Phone number: *99#
  • Username: web
  • Password: web
  • Connection name: Vodafone

Once this is done, you'll be able to connect by going to Start > Connect to > Vodafone. Give that a go and let me know how you get on, if you still receive an error then please let me know what it is.

Kind Regards,

George.

P.S. If you'd like to leave me any feedback regarding how I've handled your query then please click here.