cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 3G on dongle, but working perfectly on phone?

1107nikki
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I purchased a K3770 mobile broadband stick on a 30-day contract on Wednesday.

Each time we start up the broadband, we can only get Vodafone GPRS or BT Openzone (which is asking us for a charge, I thought this was included free in the contract). There seems to be no 3G in our local area, SG11. When checking the coverage it does say it's low, however we also have Vodafone mobile phone contracts. I can connect to Vodafone 3G using my mobile Samsung Galaxy with no problems at all.

Why can't I get 3G on the dongle, but I can on my phone? Surely they are the same technology?

If the signal doesn't improve I shall be returning the whole kit and expecting a full refund.

Can anyone help? Internet is not included in my mobile contract and I don't want it to be, but currently I'm having to pay extra on my phone contract to get decent Internet access. Vodafone GPRS is like using dial-up and worse than useless...

Thanks

1107nikki

4 REPLIES 4

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 1107nikki,

Basically as long as you can use the 3G signal on your phone you should be able to use this for you modem.

The fist thing to check is your area for any faults with the local sites, so we can do this please can you let me know your full post code and I will be able to check everything for you.

The next thing to do is to look at the setup of the modem, if you open the VMB software you should be able to find the connection settings and make sure this isn’t set to 2G Only.

Give this a go and let me know how you get on.

James

The dongle settings were set to 3G only. I had full Internet running on my mobile at the same time as trying to connect with the dongle, so I very much doubt there was a fault with the local site.

The full post code is SG11 1UT

1107nikki

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi 1107nikki

Thank you for your post and the additional information, I have checked the area and can see that there is a site in the area on our Faults Board and I believe this may be the cause.

Different devices do pick up different strengths of signal which may explain why you can connect to 3G on your mobile; this difference can also be seen between manufacturers and can depend on where the aerial is located on the device.

You can subscribe to the thread and this will update you as soon as nay changes happen.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

good tips !