Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Old (expired/) Mobile Broadband Dongle & Sim

jennind
1: Seeker

Hi,

This is my first post so please be patient!

I've got a Vodafone mobile broadband dongle (K3570-Z) and SIM (89441000300517595215C501) which I haven't used in about a year. I'd like to activate the dongle & purchase some top up credit so I can use mobile broadband again.

I attempted to update from my laptop but I couldn't top up this way.

Can you please let me know what I need to do to activate and top up my dongle?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion

If you have not used your dongle for a year, the SIM will have expired and you will need to purchase a new dongle. You cannot purchase the SIM separately as it comes as part of the package.

Thanks for the speedy response Ann.

@Vodafone - That's pretty poor customer service. I have a perfectly good dongle and I don't want to create extra waste by purchasing another Vodafone dongle. I have no problem with Vodafone putting the sim in an expired state but it should be possible to either re-activate or to get a new sim to work in the dongle. 

I'll have a look at other vendors.  Please raise this internally to improve customer satisfaction. 

The problem is Vodafone dont have any data sim only deals.  Don't understand why.

I agree. I get fed up of this. I have had it happen with PAYG mobiles. whats the pint of having a mobile for emergency use if it might be expired when you come to use it?

AnnS

@Rheumatoid wrote:

I agree. I get fed up of this. I have had it happen with PAYG mobiles. whats the pint of having a mobile for emergency use if it might be expired when you come to use it?

This is because any network would expect to make a bit of money from you since they are running a business.

There are thousands of unused numbers and there is not an infinite number of mobile numbers available, and for this reason, when a number has not been used for a period as in the terms and conditions, it is disconnected and the number is recycled.  An operator would have no way of knowing if the number was going to be used again.

If you keep the SIM active with a regular chargeable call, there will not be any problem with the number being disconnected.

kayb95
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I received a different reply from technician James on this subject when I posted the question a few weeks ago.  I live in the US and visit the UK once a year and have a Vodafone dongle with expired SIM from my last visit.  He told me I could order a free SIM from the online shop (although I would have to have it delivered to a UK address.)  I'm assuming that I would then just have to top-up the new SIM (I asked James in the thread, but he didn't reply.)

I totally understand about the SIMs expiring after a certain amount of time - but what a waste to have to keep re-purchasing dongles.  Our landfills are full enough!