Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG - Send.Vodafone.Net SMTP Problems

WandrinAndy
Not applicable
VODAFONE PAYG - Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons?

I do a lot of travelling so have a selection of Mobile Broadband (MBB) Dongles and PAYG Sims from different MBB Providers, that I use depending on which ISP seems most likely to provide the best service wherever I am at a given time.

In the UK I use THREE or VODAFONE or T-MOBILE, and in Australia I have used OPTUS, and use Outlook Express under XP for my primary email account which is with TISCALI.

When using VODAFONE PAYG, I have my Outgoing mail (SMTP) server set to 'SEND.VODAFONE.NET' but when I use this to send emails to HOTMAIL users I often (not sure it's always) have the mail returned as undelivered/rejected with the following type details:

Failed; 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status)
Remote MTA mx4.hotmail.com: network error
SMTP protocol diagnostic: 550 SC-001 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems.

As a rather cumbersome work-around to this problem, I have created a GMAIL account and change the SMTP server to 'SMTP.GMAIL.COM' and send the email from my googlemail account, simply to get my emails out to my hotmail contacts, but then they naturally tend to reply to the googlemail account, which is all rather frustrating!

Btw, I have not experienced this type of problem with the other Mobile Broadband ISPs that I have used more extensively than VODAFONE.

Looking at many other posts around this subject on the web, it appears as if this and many related problems have existed for ages already, yet nothing constructive has been done to correct them, which beggars belief...

Does anyone perhaps know when this SEND.VODAFONE.NET problem is likely to be fixed properly?

Or must I simply accept that VODAFONE PAYG will never be Fit For Purpose to use with Outlook Express?

Andy
2 REPLIES 2

bacupian
4: Newbie

I do a lot of travelling so have a selection of Mobile Broadband (MBB) Dongles and PAYG Sims from different MBB Providers, that I use depending on which ISP seems most likely to provide the best service wherever I am at a given time.

In the UK I use THREE or VODAFONE or T-MOBILE, and in Australia I have used OPTUS, and use Outlook Express under XP for my primary email account which is with TISCALI.

When using VODAFONE PAYG, I have my Outgoing mail (SMTP) server set to 'SEND.VODAFONE.NET' but when I use this to send emails to HOTMAIL users I often (not sure it's always) have the mail returned as undelivered/rejected with the following type details:

As a rather cumbersome work-around to this problem, I have created a GMAIL account and change the SMTP server to 'SMTP.GMAIL.COM' and send the email from my googlemail account, simply to get my emails out to my hotmail contacts, but then they naturally tend to reply to the googlemail account, which is all rather frustrating!

Btw, I have not experienced this type of problem with the other Mobile Broadband ISPs that I have used more extensively than VODAFONE.

Looking at many other posts around this subject on the web, it appears as if this and many related problems have existed for ages already, yet nothing constructive has been done to correct them, which beggars belief...

Does anyone perhaps know when this SEND.VODAFONE.NET problem is likely to be fixed properly?

Or must I simply accept that VODAFONE PAYG will never be Fit For Purpose to use with Outlook Express?

Andy

Vodafone now provide an alternative that so far seems to get around problems with send.vodafone.com.
I've not tried sending to my one contact with hotmail address but emails I've cc'd to my own accounts
that have various levels of spam filtering would indicate the ip addresses used are ok. Also, all those
cc'd emails arrived at destination inbox within seconds of being sent.

http://www.vodafone360.com/

Setup will depend on your O/S, I use Linux and BSD so no point me giving my settings.

One gottcha is that during signing up you have to specify your mobile phone make/model
etc and no option for dongles or 'other'. I just selected one at random.

That was only problem I had.

David

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Andy

Hi Andy and welcome to the eForum

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. As you have found our send.vodafone.net server is having problems with Windows Live!, this is due to Microsoft thinking the server is a SPAM server. They have now blocked it.

As you can see bacupian (Thanks bacupian) has provided the work around to this.

Go to www.360.com, sign up for a Vodafone 360 account. Once you have done this you can then use the outgoing mailserver.

smtp.360.com
Username - The Username you created
Password - The password you have created

Then you will experience a fully working service once again! :)

Give it a whirl and if you have any further questions just giveus a shout

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team