cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAYG & PAYM 3G Dongles and Sims Explained?

Mwako
1: Seeker

Good evening,

I was just wondering if I could get some clarification from someone if Contract and PAYG SIMs can freely swap between the dongles I have?

All dongles are K**** model dongles that seem to come with both Prepaid and Contract options upon inserting the dongle into the new PC and installing the software.

An example would be, I have placed a PAYG sim into a PAYM dongle, When plugged in it asks for the software to provide.

Is it really as simple as choosing the right software for the sim present in the dongle or is there any reason to stop this happening?

3 REPLIES 3

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mwako,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum :).

This will depend on the type of PAYG SIM card that you have. Standard PAYG SIM cards will connect to the internet with the pp.vodafone.co.uk APN (internet access point). Whereas PAYG broadband SIM cards use the pp.internet or ppbundle.internet APNs.

The VMB (Vodafone Mobile Broadband) software will connect via the Internet APN for Contract (this is the same as using mobile internet on a contract phone) or via one of the ppinternet APNs for prepay. Therefore, if you have a standard prepay SIM card then it won't work unless you manually configure the APN settings to allow it to connect, however this will be considerably more expensive than using a PAYG broadband SIM.

So, in short, there's nothing to stop you switching SIM cards between the modems, you'd just need to ensure that you change the connection type via the settings menu.

Kind Regards,

George.

I have a problem with that cause I bought a dongle with SIM PAYG first and now I took a PAYM SIM and my problem is that I'm putting that PAYM SIM into the dongle and it isn't working but when I put that PAYG SIM is working normally. How can I solve the problem?? My dongle is K3770.

Thank you,

Daria.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dariab91

Thank you for your post and a very warm welcome to the eForum from myself and the team. :smileyhappy:

You should be able to enter either SIM in the device and amend the APN settings to the one suited to your agreement, however I have asked our support teams to see if the dongle itself is locked to PAYG and would therefore need a Network Unlock Code, once I have further information I will post this back here.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team