Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

R201 Broadcast SSID

LemonScrub
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I have loaded the latest available firmware on the R201, i have Broadcast SSID off, yet it still broadcasts the SSID, whats the reason for this?.. Also my settings for WPS are.. WPS (disabled) , WPS Settings (set by wps).

8 REPLIES 8

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there LemonScrub,

Many thanks for your post about the R201.

I've had a browse of the R201 Advanced Configuration Guide and WPS configuration is approached on page 17 whereas SSID configuration is on page 27.

Could you give the suggestions a go and let me know how you get on?

Cheers,

Lee

it is good tips thank you !

Thanks for the reply Lee,

I have gone through the advanced guide, yet the questions i have are

1. I have it set not to broadcast the SSID (broadcast SSID is "unticked") yet the SSID still shows up on all pc's in the wireless network list, even ones that are not associated with the R201 in anyway. So my questions is why does it broadcast the SSID? when its set not to.

2. I have set the WPS to "disabled" , and am wondering what is the purpose of this "WPS Settings" option? below the WPS enabled/disabled option?. It has 2 options "Set by WPS" or "Not Set". does one need to bother with this if WPS is set to disabled?

Thanks

Hi LemonScrub,

I've taken a look to see what I can find out for you.

For the SSID, can you confirm for me that you have saved the settings with SSID unticked, then switched off the R201 and restarted it - don't reset it, just reboot - to ensure the settings take effect? If not, can you try that for me?

If you have, can you try to force a refresh of the setting by ticking the box, confirming, restarting the R201, unticking it, confirming and restarting again?

With the WPS, if you select disabled, then the "set by WPS" setting should be irrelevant.

Let us know how you get on, and if I've helped at all, please drop me a little feedback!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks, i have done as you suggested, and it still Broadcasts the SSID

Hi LemonScrub,

Is the SSID broadcasting to any device or only to ones which have connected previously?

Also, can you provide a printscreen of the dashboard for us? You can obscure any secure details, it's the settings we'd be interested in.

Finally, do you have a secure key set up? This would provide additional security and therefore prevent unauthorised connections.

Dave

Hi Dave

Which section of the dashboard do you require?

It broadcasts to any devices, even ones that have never connected. I have done some further testing, and it does not seem to broadcast its SSID to iphone, or ipad, yet will broadcast to windows pc's and blackberry cellphones.  I do have a WPA2-PSK set

Thanks

Hi LemonScrub,

You can find the dashboard by logging in here using the password admin if you have not changed this.

In here you will find the option for broadcasting the SSID, please can you let do a print screen of this setup within this dashboard and upload it in your post.

James