Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sharing Dock R101 and not K4511 not compatible - no internet

jeremyhancox
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I cannot connect to the internet when using my R101 sharing dock with my K4511 dongle. There is no data traffic or the data rate is zero.

The dongle works fine when connected directly into my laptop. Also, I can connect to the R101 directly using the provider Ethernet cable or via WLAN.

R101   Software  1.03.09

K4511 Firmware  11.810.09.16.11

Vodafone Mobile Broadband software 10.2.302.33178

I have used both Windows Vista 32bit and Windows 7 operating systems.

I have attached the diagnostics and settings.

Please advise and provide a fix.

3 REPLIES 3

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jeremyhancox,

I have taken a look at this for you and as long as you are running the latest firmware (1.03.09) on the R101 sharing dock the modem should work fine however, you may need to configure the connection settings within the dashboard of the R101 to use the modem.

Can I ask if you are using the modem on PAYG or contract?

The reason that I ask is that the R101 sharing dock will be pre configured with the connection settings for contract and not PAYG.

Instructions on how to do this can be found on page 25 of the advanced configuration guide.

James

Hi James,

I am using a contract SIM card. Your technical department have provided me a temporary fix today and looking for a final solution.

The fix is to downgrade the R101 firmware to 1.01.03 (Sep 2 2010 17:51:37) then the two Vodafone devices are compatible.

Thank you for confirming what I had suspected when I upgraded my sharing dock to the new firmware v1.03.09 - that it renders it incompatible with the K4511.

It seems to work fine with my other USB devices but not that one.

Reverting the sharing dock to previous v1.01.03 firware restores normal operation - as you have discovered with the "help" of VF tech support.

Tech support routinely recommends that you ensure that you are using the latest product firmware for just about anyting so for them to suggest a f/w downgrade suggests very strongly to me that they must be aware of the compatibility issue.

It seems to me that the f/w downgrade will be "temporarily" permanent until either vf releases a newer sharing dock f/w which fixes the problem or a newer K4511 f/w which restores compatibility with the latest sharing dock f/w.