You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 13: Guide II

Smtp Sending Problems On Non-vodafone Smtp Server Even With Authentication

What error message?

(Port 25 via an authenticated SMTP server here is fine)
Neil
Message 61 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Rank 1: Guest

What error message?

(Port 25 via an authenticated SMTP server here is fine)

I'll get in touch and find out the exact error code and get back to you as soon as I can.

In the meantime, I was looking into the server config... I believe the SMTP server is QMail... I found this info:

SMTP authorization. With SMTP authorization, your mail server requires authorization if the e-mail message must be sent to an external address. Your mail server supports LOGIN, CRAM-MD5 and PLAIN methods of SMTP authorization.

That's currently selected. There is another option which I've never used before:

POP3 authorization. With POP3 authorization, once a user has successfully authenticated to the POP server, he or she is permitted to receive and send e-mail through the mail server for the next 20 minutes (default value). You can adjust this interval by specifying another value in the lock time box.

Also, I have an option on my server to send mail via port 587:

To protect your server against unauthorized mail relaying or injection of unsolicited bulk mail, select the Enable message submission check box to allow your customers to send e-mail messages through the port 587.Also notify your customers that they need to specify in their e-mail programs' settings the port 587 for outgoing SMTP connections, and be sure to allow connections to this port in your firewall settings.

I'm not using it at the moment, but should I try it?
Message 62 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster

...I'm not using it at the moment, but should I try it?

I'm afraid in my tests use of POP3 auth works fine when connected via a network other than vodafone as did sending via port 587, however, then take the same client making the sasme connection to the same server but over vodafone, and it all fails :-(

.../Iain
Message 63 of 80 (15,171 Views)

Hi there...

OK, two clients using outlook... one on XP Pro and one with vista.

The XP user gets the following message when trying to send:

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC80):'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.'

Which is a bit of an odd one I think!

And the Vista user gets this error:

Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
Message 64 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi linseym

I certainly hope you don't get sacked, not in this economic climate anyway, :(

i can't see any reference in your posts to the Vodafone smtp server send.vodafone.net, have your clients attempted to use this (with authentication disabled), This is the generic setting we always advise when using the USB dongle.

Please give this a shot and post back your results as soon as you can, also handy maybe a reference to the Coverage maps for an indication of potential 3G signal coverage.

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team
Message 65 of 80 (15,171 Views)

Hi there,

No, they haven't tried this. I didn't want to have to go down the route of setting them up with multiple email accounts, as it will only confuse matters since they use various types of connection, and (I assume) that this relay would only work when connected via the usb modem?

However, I am happy to give it a go for testing purposes if you think it will help?

Does this smtp relay require any authentication?

Linsey
Message 66 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Linseym,

send.vodafone.net is our free outgoing portal for instances when connection via a mobile IP is rejected as spam by a capricious server. It is unauthenticated, so uncheck this. As you said, this connection type is for our over-the-air connection only, and will only apply when your clients are using Mobile Broadband.

Please do let us know the results of this test, we really want to resolve this for you!

Daz

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 67 of 80 (15,171 Views)

Hello again,

We have tried various things today.

Tried using port 587 and 465 - this did not work.

Tried send.vodafone.net this does work. Interestingly... after we tried a test email with this relay, we changed back to the original ASMTP settings, and they WORKED! (until we rebooted the computer...! saw that coming a mile off, eh?) At this point both clients were getting error:

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC80):'None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.'

I also tried to get them to telnet port 25 to see what was happening for the hosting company to have a look, but they are on vista, so this will have to wait!
Message 68 of 80 (15,171 Views)

forgot to add:

Also... one of the clients was in Dundee today at Tayport. She left there and drove south. At a carpark at a motorway service station, she booted up the pc and the emails got sent via the connection on the usb stick, using the ASMTP details and NOT the vodafone one. Nevertheless, we have temporarily moved her on to the vodafone relay until we can fix this issue. This cannot be a longterm solution though.

I belive that they are using 3G.

I am very lucky that the clients are understanding about this!

oh and my server is not capricious I will have you know!!! :)
Message 69 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Linseym,

I'm really not sure where to go with this particular issue. I know if we raise this to our technical team, they'll just tell you to use send.vodafone.net as this is the "official" solution for any sending problems - and you've proved it does indeed work.

It would be very hard to get any changes pushed through on the standard Internet APN for this type of problem, since it is not covered in the contract - so I believe the best way to get around this would be to investigate the possibility of getting a better contract.

If you're a business customer, we offer custom APN's to those who need everything working and full support from a dedicated team when it doesn't. If your business had its own special APN and anything didn't work, then there would be a dedicated team on our side who will work with the IT bods on your side to get it fixed. If this means making changes to how our traffic is routed or shaped, then this is something we'll be able to do because changes to your APN doesn't have a knock-on effect for any other customer.

If this sounds like something worth investing in, then call your Business Account Manager and discuss the options available to you in terms of Data accounts :)

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 70 of 80 (15,171 Views)

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

It's not me who jhas the contract with vodafone - it is my client. I will suggest this to them, but I don't see them going for it since they are a small company and only the few team members who are on the road use the usb modem sticks./

Can anyone please at least tell me why this is working in such an on/off manner? Is it a coverage issue or a connection issue, or something to do with the way vodafone handles and compresses traffic?

What really gets me is the fact that it was working, then it wasn't, then it worked for 5 minutes, then it didn't again. It's not really ideal!

Surely if every other network we've tried has given us no problems, then the fault has to be within the vodafone system rather than my mail server, and really that should be addressed? Judging by the number of people posting with this issue, I don't really see how you can just patch over it with forcing them to swap between two mail relays... thats going to make us all look really unprofessional... And this is only ASMTP we are talking about... it's not exactly rocket science!

Sorry, but this is totally frustrating for me... I know that they won't buy "just use the vodafone relay" but if you guys can't tell me why it isn't working then am not sure what I'm supposed to do either.

I was considering getting another auth SMTP contract with a 3rd party, but it would be likely that it would be blocked by vodafone too.
Message 71 of 80 (15,171 Views)

Linsey - can you set up an SSH connection to a central server back in the office, so that traffic is relayed back through that - because it's your server making the connection to any server, you should get around any problems of the Vodafone connection refusing to carry the traffic, since it will be carried back to your remote device via the encrypted tunnel? I've been using the method of quite some time now, and never had a problem using any SMTP server.

(I've a feeling that I succeeded without doing this too, though, but that wouldn't help you - the SSH / tunnelling option might)
Neil
Message 72 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

I was considering getting another auth SMTP contract with a 3rd party, but it would be likely that it would be blocked by vodafone too.

Hi Linseym,

We can certainly try to raise this as a fault for you, but since the official line is "Use send.vodafone.net" I expect it to be rejected. Since we don't make any gaurantees on the ability to use third-party servers, it's also not something which would get treated with high priority. One thing I can confirm however, is that we do not intentionally do anything to block this from working, and as other users have already confirmed, it does indeed work fine for most people.

This suggests something unique to your servers which could be causing the issue. For that reason, I'd say that checking out a 3rd party SMTP provider is actually a pretty smart idea.

Jon

eForum Team
Message 73 of 80 (15,171 Views)

Hi there,

Just to keep you updated, Had more problems yesterday, including being unable to send using either Vodafone or ASMTP relay.

Have also had the server people looking into it, but as yet they cannot find anything server-side to explain the problem
Message 74 of 80 (15,171 Views)

I'm having a problem trying to send email using ProfiMail on a Nokia 5800. I'm using a 3rd party email provider with outgoing server smtp port 25. I have contract internet with Vodafone.

The error message I get is:

Error !
550 IP Address 212.183.132.19 in RBL
Message 75 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi JimJam,

The term "RBL" refers to Realtime Blackhole List. Since this error message is coming from your third-party SMTP server, it suggests that they are actively blocking Vodafone IP addresses.

Please swap your current SMTP details for send.vodafone.net with authentication disabled, and re-try. This should alleviate the problem for you :)

Jon

eForum Team
Message 76 of 80 (15,171 Views)

JimJam - are you authenticating your SMTP connection? Can you switch to using SSL?
Neil
Message 77 of 80 (15,171 Views)

Hmm - all very interesting. We have just implemented an Sender Policy Framework (www.openspf.org) record on our server. So if I use my work e-mail address with vodafone SMTP then our spam system is going to dump the mails as SPF failures.

Anyone come up with a work round for that one?
Message 78 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey Adrian61,

Unfortunately there isn't a workaround for this Framework unless you can use your work email address with an associated SMTP server. If only all Internet Service Providers would let us take our SMTP servers with us on our mobiles :)

Thanks,

Adam
eForum Team.
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 79 of 80 (15,171 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster

I presume you are using Outlook 2007 on both the XP and Vista boxes? This CCC80 issue seems to be a problem with OL 2007. If you Google the error you'll find *lots* of people complaining about OL 2002/3 working, Outlook Express working, OL 2007 working and then for no apparent reason failing with this error.

So I think you've hit a different problem here which seems to be related to OL 2007 as a client, not the connection.

.../Iain
Message 80 of 80 (15,171 Views)