Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable To Connect Vodafone K3715

Leonhart
Not applicable
Hi I am using K3715 on my Lenovo X200.

The usb stick works initially but after awhile instead of "3G Modem #2" it becomes "3G PC UI Interface (COM16)" and I will keep getting the error message of unable to connect and it says other application is using the device.

I have uninstall and reinstall the vmc lite and it still doesnt work.

I have tried installing the full version of vmc downloaded from the website but that doesnt work either.

After moving the usb stick to a new usb port it works normally again and the "3G Modem #2" become the active device. But after awhile it stop working and revert back to the above mention problem. 2 of the 3 usb port on my laptop cant be used now and I am already using the final usb port.

Can anyone provide some insight on this issue?

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1183/bom1.jpg (SS of the Manage Device)
4 REPLIES 4

cartman_81
4: Newbie
Hello,

It sounds like the COM port that is attached to the modem might be getting interruped.

You may want to consider changing the COM port allocated to the modem - this can be a little fiddly, so I'd recommend printing this out before trying it, that way you have a hard copy.

- Go to Start Menu and select Run
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK (type devmgmt.msc in the Start Menu search bar on Vista)
- Expand the Modem heading, right click Modem Interface and select Properties
- Select the Advanced tab and Advanced Port Settings
- Change the Port Number to a high end, unused, com port number e.g. 250
- Click OK and OK again to return to device manager (Note: If you receive an error indicating that the com port is in use, this is normal as indicates that the com port it was originally set to has had a problem)
- Expand the Ports (COM and LPT) heading, right click on the Application Interface and select Properties
- Select the Port Setting tab and click on Advanced
- Change the Port Number to a high end, unused, com port number e.g. 251
- Click OK and OK again to return to device manager (Note: If you receive an error indicating that the com port is in use, this is normal as indicates that the com port it was originally set to has had a problem)
- Right click on the Diagnostic Interface and select Properties
- Select the Port Setting tab and click on Advanced
- Change the Port Number to a high end, unused, com port number e.g. 251
- Reboot the machine and retest

Hope this helps
Cartman_81

If I ruled the world....... I'd make make people laugh all day!

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello Leonhart

I'm assuming that you've been following Cartman's advice, it does sound like the most logical conclusion however us Mods are unable to advise on anything that requires you to change or directly configure Windows.

I can also add that it's worth checking the following:

1. Start

2. Control Panel

3. Phone and modem

4. Modem tab

5. Advanced

Make sure you have no modems listed there, then you should be able to add your current usb modem (it will search automatically).

Please get back to me regarding this, :)

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Leonhart
Not applicable
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I attempted to change my port number as per instructed but I do not have anything (except my thinkpad inbuild modem) in the modem.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3931/bom2.jpg (SS of the device manager)

So I went ahead and attempt to change the port number of the huawei mobile connect and its still not able to work. I did not get any error message when i change the com port.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/192/bom3.jpg (SS of the managed Device)

Now it simply add the new one but I still receive the error of unable to connect as some device is using it.

I have already disabled the inbuild modem if that helps.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Leonhart,

Going by the first screenshot, did you change both of the ports listed for each of the "Huawei mobile connect" records, making sure they were all for different numbers?

Also, going by the second screenshot, can you just click on each of the PC UI interface records and select "remove" for me, just to ensure only the 3G modem record remains.

Finally, if you can check the sandbox (the collection of icons on the toolbar of your PC next to the clock), can you see if there is any indication that anything other than the VMC is using the dongle, particularly as a mass storage device? If so, select that and switch that off.

Let us know how you get on - I'm confident we can get to the bottom of this for you.

In the meantime, don't forget that by registering for My Account you can manage many of the services we offer by phone online, so it's a great idea for added convenience. Also, if you haven't seen it already, we've got an online data calculator to help you get a good idea of your likely usage you may want to check out.

DaveN

eForum Team

P.S. Should you wish to provide any feedback on how I have addressed your query for you, then there'sa link to a short form in my sig below to enable you to do that. It just takes a few minutes and any comments are appreciated