Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unidentified text messages on bill

imlincs
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
My latest bill contains a number of items identified as "incoming call Vf Malta Maritime". They are dated at a time I was abroad (but hundreds of miles from Malta!). I didn't receive any text messages at the times shown on my bill. As I was on Eurotraveller I haven't been charged for these calls but I'm concerned as to where they have come from. For example could someone be hacking my phone when I'm abroad? I've rung Vodafone for an explanation but was told only that I must have been roaming near the VF Malta Maritime network but this simply isn't the case and also doesn't explain why I haven't actually received any such texts. Can anyone help me solve this mystery? Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @imlincs 

The good news is that it is very unlikely you were being hacked. In fact our maritime networks are registered in specific countries and may not always represent your physical location. More information can be found here, look in the section “Why have I been charged for calls in a country I haven’t visited?”

Of course, if you notice any discrepancies in your billing or phone use, then please let us know as soon as possible.

Thank you

That was much more helpful than your call centre.

I was on the Portsmouth Caen (France) ferry at the times in question so presumably that ferry is connected to the VF Malta martime network.

That answers half the question. However it doesn't explain what the calls were given that I didn't actually receive any messages on my phone at those times. There was no charge involved so I'm not complaining about that - just interested to know what's going on.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain.