Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone K4511 connects to VPN ok, but cannot ping /connect to servers

Mossy199
1: Seeker

Hi,

I have a Vodafone dongle that connects to the Vodafone network, then connects to the VPN ok, but I cannot ping or connect to any servers. This is the second dongle model that I have got with the same issue. I’m assuming that it’s a split tunnelling issue, but it connects to the VPN ok?

The older model dongles (E172) have no issues

Is there a fix I can do to get it to work, as I need to send it out to a user asap!

Dongle: K4511

OS – Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 32 Bit

VPN – Cisco 5.0

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey Mossy199,

Many thanks for your post. 

I've had to seek advice on this one and will come back to the thread when I have more information for you.

Cheers,

Lee

connects to the VPN ok, but I cannot ping or connect to any servers

Have you checked your VPN configuration?

I had a similar problem before I had told the machine to route all traffic down the VPN (via the interface using Mac's VPN server, or with "push "redirect-gateway def1" with OpenVPN, which I'd used previously).

Are you pinging an IP address, or a domain name? If the latter, do you have the right DNS servers specified for your VPN connection?

What is the output of tracert/traceroute to the server in question?

Neil

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Mossy199,

Thanks for your patience while I got an answer on this one.

We have actually seen other reports of this from other customers and it would appear that there is a problem with compatibility with the Cisco VPN client (versions 5.0.06 and 5.0.07) and that it doesn't support devices connecting as NDIS when using Windows 7. This can be seen in this Cisco thread :Winking_smiley:

As a workaround you can create a manual dial up networking connection using the modem component of our devices, rather than the Network adapter and this will then allow full connectivity to the VPN. This is something that the VPN providers need to resolve and is not a fault with the Vodafone Mobile Broadband/Connect software.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Lee

EDIT: There is also an update to the software which can be found here