Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone PAYG Mobile Broadband - Top-up And Charges Query

ludzy
Not applicable
Hi,

Just received my broadband pay as u go sim today. I'm using it with my unlocked huawei E5830 mifi device. Everything is fine and working (using it now) but I'm a bit confused about the top up stuff?

I registered the sim with vodafone and added £5 credit just to check it out etc... But I dont think vodafone know it's mobile broadband sim. Is there anyway I have to top up with mobile broadband credit or is the credit universal? Been using it for about 30 mins now and credit is down to £4.50. i have read the term s etc and did see that vodaphone charge 50p max for all day browsing but I would assume this is for mobile phone use not dongle/mifi use. Does this mean I have been given a standard pay n go sim instead of a mobile broadband one? (if theres a difference). Also I noticed that £15 gives you 3gb use so does that mean that i have to top up a min £15 every time?? Sorry for all the questions I'm just a bit confused about this side of things.

cheers

Ludz
21 REPLIES 21

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Colabot,

Firstly, a very warm welcome to the eForum Family, it's always great to see new faces on here :).

Don't worry about the thread hijack, I'll be more than happy to answer your question :). You'll be pleased to hear that there is no credit expiry on our standard PAYG SIM cards. If you do go 270 days without using the SIM though then the number will be disconnected and recycled.

I trust that clarifies matters for you :).

George
eForum Team

milkpowder
4: Newbie
Jon,

So if I top up 5 quid credit onto my Mobile Broadband SIM it won't actually 'register' as internet credit until I top it up to 15 quid? That's my understanding anyway. Thanks.

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi milkpowder

Thanks for your post and for coming back to us here. :)

You would need to topup £15 in one go in order to get your data allowance

Please let us know if you have any more questions and we'll be more than happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Jerry S
Not applicable
Thanks to George for the reply, and my apologies for taking ages to post a response, I'd forgotten about the question, oops.

I seem to have lost my marbles regarding this and have some further questions. I have not yet used the SIM I recieved.

The traffic data I refer to is for TomTom software. To utilise the traffic updates, the phone needs to access the internet. However, the access needs to be of a "full" nature and not restricted to a WAP type of connection.

Can you clarify what type of data access is possible from the simply SIM card?

Also, I was under the impression that the minimum top up was £10 for the Simply SIM. Am I mistaken, or will I actually need to subscribe to a £15 tariff to get the data access I need?

I don't need tethering nor do I need to use a mobile broadband dongle, I just need unrestricted access, over 2G, occasionally.

Ta.

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Colabot

You can access the internet with a Simply SIM. It's 50p for up to 25MB from midnight to midnight, and 50p for each 25MB or part of there after.

You only need to top up in £15 increments if you have a specific data only PAYG mobile broadband SIM. These are only supplied with a PAYG modem, as a package.

The Tom Tom should work fine with the standard PAYG SIM and you do not need a data SIM. These can be topped up with a minimum of £5.00.

I trust this answers your query, but let me know if you've anything further to ask.

Regards

Trev
eForum Team

quick question regarding all of this, just so I'm sure of the way everything is set up....

I recently (yesterday) bought a Vodafone modem from Argos, listed has having 500mb already attached as part of the purchase.  What it's showing, instead, is a useage of 250mb with 5 pounds credit.  The tariff I'm set up on is the Occasional Use 250mb tariff (can't access the page to see what other options are open to me, it's "presently unavailable").  If you say that the minimum topup available is 15 pounds (added that on today as an aside) but am wondering how it all hangs together.

The modem may be used in the future for a tablet, which I have seen advertised that you only need 5pounds topup for 250mb.  Would you mind clarifying how the tariffs are set since I can't seem to find those pages?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi micahmaiitso,

The above posts were regarding the old style dongle which Vodafone stopped selling in July this year, so does not apply to the one that you have now..

The Occasional Use dongle you have will only show as having 250mb allowance, but once you have used that allowance then the other £5 credit you have left will automatically convert into another 250mb, therefore giving you the 500mb altogether..

I have provided a link for you with regards to the dongle, just click on the PAYG option

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/mobile-internet/on-your-pc-or-mac/internet-dongles/index.htm

Thank you Mari,

I was hoping to get a little more information about the other tariffs available, since when I try to access that via my account, it is unable to to list the information.

Hi micahmaiitso

mari1970 has linked you to the page where you can see all of the packages available, by selecting the tabs on that page for the type of package you want will give you all of the information.

Thanks for the link mari1970 :Winking_smiley:

Martin

so the only prepaid option is £5 for 250MB?