Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G connection issue

ddfp675
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

How do I get a Philips V989 to work on 4G?

The V989 fine on 3G and my sim is fine on 4G in a different handset. at the same location The handset works on LTE Band 7 (2600MHz) according to Philips so should be good to go. I have 4G selected inside Android.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BT is an EE MVNO. EE's base 4G layer is on 1800MHz with 2600MHz in many areas too so that phone is quite compatible spectrum wise for BT/EE. 

Vodafone's base 4G layer is 800MHz, which that phone does not support. 

The places you'll see 4G with those allocations are primarily dense urban areas like London, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham etc.

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi.

That frequency isn't wide spread. 

If you can let us know your postcode we can see what your masts push out. 

Do you get 4g on it in other places?

Was the phone imported or is it a UK released handset.

Can you link to the specs you've seen because when I've looked their seems to be quite a lot of information pointing to duel sim etc but I can't see the band information. 

IMG_0857(1).JPG

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me; specs of the phone attached as a JPG.

I bought the handset from Hong Kong and was working fine in Surrey where I used to live and in London on 4G, however that was as a BT customer. Now I am in Salisbury, I have had to change to Vodafone as I couldn't get any signal in the house.

So I know the handset works on 4G and that other handsets work with the same SIM on 4G, however it seems to be a frequency related issue. I can't think of anything else...

I appreciate any help you can provide!

David

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

With imported phones it's a bit of a monopoly if it will work on Uk networks. 

It can work on one and then not on another. 

The frequencies and bands will play a big part. 

Vodafone wouldn't officially be able to support the phone as it's an import. 

Current Phone  >

BT is an EE MVNO. EE's base 4G layer is on 1800MHz with 2600MHz in many areas too so that phone is quite compatible spectrum wise for BT/EE. 

Vodafone's base 4G layer is 800MHz, which that phone does not support. 

The places you'll see 4G with those allocations are primarily dense urban areas like London, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham etc.

My thanks to PedroC1999 for his answer.

So the issue then is that I need a handset that works on the 800MHz (4G LTE Band 20 according to http://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/) rather than 2600MHz.

I shall remember that in future - others should note this!

Imran787
1: Seeker
Hi, i have bought a new fone and 4G is only compatible for following bands 1800, 2100, 2600, plz can u let me kno when these will be available on vodafone?

BandOfBrothers

@Imran787

These are the frequencies Vodafone U.K. use as per my post a little earlier in the thread. 

Your phone appears to be compatible with the frequencies. The bands are also important. 

IMG_0857.JPG

Current Phone  >

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
I work hard keeping that table correct!

Imran787: You will only get 4G in very busy locations, such as central London, Manchester, Birmigham, Bristol.