cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Call to my mobile when overseas seems not to ring - but it does!

PDC_UK
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Vodafone pay monthly Red Value 4GB SIM, which I use in an unlocked iPhone 6S.  When abroad in the EEA, I pay the daily EuroTraveller fee to use my bundled data, minutes and texts.

I work for part of my time in Iceland and part in the UK, and when in Iceland my auto-selected network is Vodafone Iceland.

A problem has recently developed which I'm hoping someone has come across before.  The issue is that when someone calls me from the UK to my phone whilst I am in Iceland, my phone rings as normal (that is, I hear the ring tone), but it does not appear to ring to the caller - all the caller hears is silence, followed by my answering the phone or it going to voicemail.

I don't know when the issue started, but I've had numerous comments on this within the last month or so, but prior to that no-one mentioned it - I have worked in Iceland using the same setup for nearly a year.

Has anyone come across this issue before, and if so, do you know how it can be resolved please so that the caller can hear that my phone is ringing?

Many thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PDC_UK

Has this issue occured since you've been back in the UK?

We only ask as we're trying to eliminate as many possibilities as possible.

@Dane_B

This hasn't happened in the UK, only in Iceland.

I'm back in Iceland today and:

- the issue is affecting all in-bound calls from UK callers to my UK mobile

- the issue is affecting calls from my Icelandic mobile (network is Siminn) to my UK mobile

- the issue is not affecting calls from my Icelandic corporate network to my UK mobile

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PDC_UK I can see you've previously said that you're automatically connecting to Vodafone Iceland.

You may wish to try a manual roam and connect to either Nova or Siminn, then test to see if this fixes the issue.

Let us know how you get on. :smileyhappy:

Many thanks for reply, but no joy sadly.

Unfortunately whilst I can see Nova and Siminn as theoretically available choices for manual network selection, when I select one of them manually, my phone simply says "No Service".  I also tried manually selecting another network and then hard resetting my iPhone in case that might have helped (it didn't). It seems my Vodafone UK SIM only wants to talk to its Icelandic franchise cousin.

After the hard reset and re-selecting Vodafone Iceland, I tried to call my UK mobile (in case the hard reset had helped) - but unfortunately the problem of the absent ring tone still persists.

(In case you were wondering, I know that I can access at least Siminn at the same place I tried the manual selection. I also have an Icelandic iPhone locked to Siminn and I get a strong Siminn 4G signal with it).

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PDC_UK Sorry to hear this didn't work.

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.