Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Delayed text messages

nickpick
2: Seeker

Many text messages that are sent to my vodafone number (with iphone 6s with plenty of free memory and great reception) are arriving 12-24 hours delayed. 

Interestingly only text messages (SMS) are delayed when they are sent from an official number (such as HRMC or txtlocal). Text messages from other phones are arriving immediately.

Restarting the phone does not accelerate the delivery.

Any suggestions what could be causing this? Vodafone support doesn't seem to have any clue.

thanks

Nicolas

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @nickpick

Certainly a conundrum. 

Does this occur only at home or everywhere ?

I'm not sure it's especially delayed because of where the texts are originating from. 

Can you try your Sim Card in another phone anyway as a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card that may be at fault. Try another Sim in your phone. If necessary any Vodafone Shop can replace the Sim Card via a Sim Swap. 

Vodafone have a Network Template here 

Vodafone Network Template.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

nickpick
It can't be the phone or the sim, otherwise all text messages should be afffected. It has to be something in the Vodafone network. The delay happens everywhere.

BandOfBrothers

I've known when a SIM card starts to degrade / phone fail then intermittent issues can occur. 

Especially as this is happening everywhere so that points to your masts both Local and Surrounding being possibly ok. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

nickpick
Very hard to imagine how that could be a sim problem.

There's absolutely nothing that points in that direction.

AnnS

hi @nickpick

When you receive messages immediately from mobile telephone numbers direct from the message centre, it won't be a network issue.

If you are receiving delayed text from official organanisations such as HMRC, the messages will be automated computer generated texts sent in bulk.  This means your text has more than likely delayed being sent.  

If you are concerned about receiving these texts late, it may be an idea to have a word with HMRC and txtlocal, I believe with textlocal texts can be arranged to be delivered immediately or at a later time, and see if they can do anything to improve the service.