Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

G4 - 4G connection dropping/unstable

armrus
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

just wondering if anyone can help with this. I'm generally quite happy with Vodafone's mobile signal and internet speed, which is fast even in the area of this issue, but the signal's strength sometimes drops, although still showing full 4G reception. When it happens I'm suddenly unable to use internet in any way. Luckily I can get things back to normal simply restarting my connection (switching flight mode on and off again), but in less than a month with Vodafone I've had to do it almost every day and it's quite annoying, as this often happens while I'm making a Viber or WhatsApp call. I've used the template to answer the standard questions:

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

As far as I could notice so far it happens in just a few locations at and immediately around my office, in the G4 area

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

Mainly G4 0JY, but it happened in other post codes in the immediate vicinity as well

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?
I don't have another phone to try, but this problem started when I switched to Vodafone using the same phone as before. It didn't happen with the previous provider and I'd been with them for years before switching to Vodafone. Their internet speed was terrible in the area, but stable at least.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

No error messages. The connection simply drops suddenly or becomes unstable, although the phone still shows full 4G reception, to the point that it takes ages to send a simple text through WhatsApp or load a webpage. If I'm using Viber to call family or friends abroad, the conversation gets interrupted several times. I can only take the connection back to normal by switching flight mode on and off, but so far I've had to do it at least once a day almost every day since I switched to Vodafone nearly a month ago.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

4G

6) When did you first notice this issue?

From my first day with Vodafone about a month ago.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

It's happened almost every day since my first day with Vodafone about a month ago. I mainly noticed it when using my phone at lunchtime, but it also happened when going to work or leaving.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

There are a number of network issues listed for that area currently which may be impacting your service and aiming to improve it.

Thanks for your reply, but the issues I saw when checking the network were all related to calls, not 4G connection. If there are also issues affecting mobile internet as you said, are you planning or doing works to fix them and when? This is very annoying and has been going on since the first day of my conctract with Vodafone so I guess is a longstanding problem. Thanks

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@armrus The issues that you're experiencing, which you can see on the Network Status Checker, may also be affecting your data services.

You can register for updates on this here.