Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ipad not picking up network at home

mainmarine
4: Newbie

why can't i get vodafone network on my iPad at home but the same Sim payg works on in my dongle at home, I have just been to the Vodafone shop and it works fine in there but the girl I spoke to said there were different sim cards for i pads and dongles. The sim  is a payg data sim which i have been trying to use since December 2016.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mainmarine - Different networks operate on different frequencies - therefore the coverage provided by each provider does vary.

View solution in original position

58 REPLIES 58

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mainmarine You should be getting a good 3G/4G signal within your area. 

As your mobile dongle is able to pick up a connection using a Vodafone SIM, the issue won't be network related. 

If you're experiencing issues with your SIM whilst using your mobile dongle, please let us know. 

Hi

As i have stated in my earlier posts there is limited signal at my home, you are welcome to send your engineers to check for themselves [by appointment] if you wish. I take my ipad out with me all day and travel mostly around Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire, I have no problems with a signal in most of these areas, only my home address, I suspect for the reasons I have stated before.

thanks
Malc

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mainmarine Your indoor coverage may be impacted by various obstacles such as house/build type, newly erected buildings and trees. 

As mentioned previously, the serving site for your location is performing as expected, displaying no dips in performance which would impact your service. 

Hi so how do you explain the fact that I can pick up everyone else's network but yours?

Hi so how do you explain the fact that I can pick up everyone else's network but yours?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mainmarine - Different networks operate on different frequencies - therefore the coverage provided by each provider does vary.

Thanks for an honest response, I just hope I don't get ripped off getting my iPad unlocked from vodafone, after receiving conflicting messages.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@mainmarine

Vodafone no longer charges an unlocking fee, although unfortunately there seem still be a few automated messages knocking about within the system, indicating that they do.

However, as a security measure, Vodafone does require you to have been using the device with the same SIM for a minimum of 30 days (this is the requirement for PAYG, which I believe you are). This is, in essence, to produce reasonable assurance that the unlock is being requested by the owner/regular user of the device, rather than by someone who found the device in the pub or on a bus, and is trying to hijack it.

In view of the difficulties which you have had with making a connection at your home, this could be something of a pain, but all I can suggest is taking your iPad (complete with Vodafone SIM) out and about with you, and using it in areas where you make a good connection. After 30 days, the device IMEI and the SIM will be well and truly associated on Vodafone's system, and you should be able to get your unlock without difficulties.

You may be aware that unlocking Apple devices is slightly more complicated than some others. Vodafone can't do the unlock themselves, but pass the request on to Apple, who could then take 10-14 days to action it. You won't get an unlock code as such, but once the unlock has been performed, you will find that, on putting an active non-Vodafone SIM into the device, it will connect to the new network. I'm not very familiar with Apple devices, but for some of them, you also have to sync with iTunes.

So I'm afraid it won't be the quickest of journeys - but worth it in the end, when your iPad is connecting to a network that works better at your home address.

Hi, thanks I have beeen using the iPad when I have been out and about and have had the sim now for around a month so hopefully i will be able to use it on another network soon.

Well its been around a month now, I have not heard from Vodafone about unlocking my iPad apart from the first e mail I had stating that they were going to unlock it and it would cost me £19.99, the last contact I had was on vodafone chat a coulpe of weeks ago, who told me it would be unlocked on the 8th of February. Still waiting.