Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

KY6 - Glenrothes

GDewar
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

There 4G signal in the vicinity of the offices at KY6 2AL (Saltire Centre, Glenrothes) is very poor.  The signal used to be better but has been very poor since approx. the start of 2017.  Please can this be investifated.  Template below completed as requested.

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Happens in offices in area of KY6 2AL.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

KY6 2AL

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

All staff affected.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Slow service.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

4G

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Never been great but has gotten worse since start of 2017.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Seems permanent

11 REPLIES 11

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@GDewar I've checked your 2G site (1261) and your 3G/4G site (79984) and both are performing correctly.

Does it help if you manually switch down your device to 3G only? As I can see that you've stated that it affects only 4G. 

If you need help with how to do this, please let us know the device you're using and we'll be able to assist. :smileyhappy:

Hi Alex - same result.  I am using a Samsung S6 Edge and if 4G is not available it then attempts to try H+ or H.  The signal strength of H appears good but when you try to do anything requiring data it simply hangs.  There are quite a lot of trees around the office - would that have an impac?  Not sure of the actual location of the cell tower in relation to the office - do you know exaclty where it is?  Graham

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@GDewar Your 3G/4G serving site is located at KY7 4JH. 

From our network queries threadTrees can also cause problems with something referred to as "line of sight". Some of our sites are connected to the rest of our network via a microwave link rather than cables and if a tree grows in the way of the link, it's possible that the link can stop working.

Thanks Alex.  Is that the closest cell tower?  It's not actually that close to our location which probably explains the poor signal (rather than trees).

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@GDewar Your 2G serving site (1261) is slightly closer - located at KY6 2RG. 

Your 3G/4G site (79984) serves a large surface area, which covers your postcode - as mentioned previously, it's performing correctly. 

Thanks Alex.  I'm not doubting it's performing correctly but where we are we are not getting a good enough signal.  However, the signal used to be fine so something has changed.  There are several offices in the business park now and I would imagine everyone is affected by this.

Also, KY6 2RG is not a recognised postcode so can't check where that is in relation to our location.

Graham

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@GDewar It looks like KY6 2RG is a terminated postcode, however I can still find the location with an online search. 

However as previously mentioned, you'll only connect to site (1261) for 2G. 

There's been no changes to your 3G/4G serving site (79984) within the last 90 days. 

Thanks Alex - from our location we are getting next to no data connection.  Given you say the sites are working correctly is there anything that can be done about this?

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@GDewar - I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch, so we can look into this a little further.