Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mast Safety Question

Lockupchap
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

We have constructed a new, multi-storey building close to an existing mast which holds a number of mobile telephone antennae. We wish to check that these antennae do not present an unacceptable level of exposure to anyone using or working in or on the new building. Unfortunately it is not possible to tell which network operator runs these antennae, as there are no markers on the antennae or the metal cabinets at ground level.

Please could you provide me with contact details at Vodafone whom I can approach to ask

1. Does Vodafone operate or use this mast?
  2. If it does, can anyone give me technical details (ie number and type of antennae, maximum radiated power, maxium effective radiated power and antenna gain for each antenna?
14 REPLIES 14

Thanks - that's useful.

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@Lockupchap wrote:

It isn't the equipment at B15 2TY

The team seemed to be having trouble finding the location from that postcode, so I Googled it.  It's no longer in use, so it's a matter of putting the address in the Royal Mail poscode finder and seeing what it is now.   RM update postcodes all the time due to new building and delivery point changes.   Some codes are re-located, others fall out of use altogether.

(I used to run a mail-order business, so I know far more about postcode than is reasonable :smileyembarrassed:)

That's the reason I originally gave an OS grid reference rather than a postcode. The post code suggested relates to a building which has now been demolished. It used to receive its own post when we let it to another party and had a postcode. However the tenant moved out, we demolished the old building and are constructing a new building on the site. It won't have its own postcode, as it will form about 1% of our much larger site with centralised mail receving faciliites about 400 metres away.

Our concern is that the mast was no doubt safe when installed, bearing in mind the location and low height of surrounding buildings. However we want to review the situation with operators, as the building we are constructing is taller than the previous one.

As an side, it sounds like you've also had issues with the 'pigeon hole thinking' behind postcodes. I find it a problem when trying to get goods or services delivered to buildings that don't have a postcode. It's also noticeable how many people these days seem incapable of getting to meetings in locations that doesn't have a postcode.

Do masts - as opposed to nearby buidlings - actually have postcodes?

The mast is H3G Site ID B0780 and TUK 63170. 

I think Ofcom started out the map with really good intentions but T-Mobile and their successor EE started getting hot under the collar about revealing their exact mast locations. 

As a result Ofcom couldn't really keep the service going if they couldn't reveal the locations of EE masts so sadly they had to knock it all on the head.

From what i understand this info is still available but NOT from Ofcom and only on a paid-for subscription service designed for corporate users.