Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

N16 - STOKE NEWINGTON

daniel360
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

YES, throughout the post code area. I have to move to another post code area for better service.

2) What is the full postcode of where the issue occurs?

N16 9EX

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

There is no 4G coverage, only 3G, only 1 bar for 2G.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

4G is unavailable in the area and only 1 bar for 2G is available.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

When I first joined the network early in Jan 2017.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent?

Permanent.

7 REPLIES 7

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member

I have checked the mast layout and predicted covergae in your area. The predicted coverage is indoor and outdoor 4G. The postocde is a reasonable distance from some sites although they are rooftops so coverage should be good.

What phone do you have so can potentially look at field test mode and also where was the signal as you said: indoors or out.

I have an iPhone 7. The screenshot I attached is from inside the gym at N16 9EX. On other networks I get 4G all the time in the gym. I would like 4G on Vodafone there as well.

PedroC1999

Indoor coverage is hard to predict and gyms tend to be very signal blocking due to their construction and amount of metalwork. Which other networks provide you 4G in the gym?

Three and EE provide a near perfect 4G signal throughout the gym, including to the lower ground level. The gym has a lot of glass in its construction so I think it's a case of just boosting the signal in that part of the post code to the same level as Three.

Interestingly, according to OpenSignal, there is a Vodafone Mast at the same location as the gym but according to the service I get, it seems to be 3G only. Perhaps it needs to be upgraded or moved. I've attached a screenshot from OpenSignal. If that location of the mast is accurate, it is at the swimming pool end. Most people are at the other end where the gym and fitness areas are spread over 4 floors so perhaps move the mast to the other side of the building? I've uploaded a clearer image.

PedroC1999

That Opensignal map is not at all correct. I've looked at the mast layout in your area and EE/3's is probably better placed to serve your gym. However, there will be areas where you get perfect 4G signal on Vodafone that you won't on EE. Networks can't readily just increase the mast power because it will adverseley change the shape of the network and potentially cause cell intereference issues.

It's mainly 3G on Vodafone throughout that whole area (not just the gym) and mainly 4G in that area on Three and EE. The consistency of 3G over 4G here tells me it's worth further investigation on the part of the weaker service provider. In that area is also a school, a doctors' surgery, a park, and houses. Considering how many people go to these places and how much time they spend there, it's a lot of (potential) customers, after all.