Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 4g abroad

amh13
4: Newbie

Hi, I have been in italy for 3 days now and I cannot get 4g on my phone. Only 3g. I have tried forcing my phone onto Vodafone IT 4G, but it only goes to No Service before reverting back to 3G. I am near switzerland so I tried selecting swiss operators, but I had the same issue, even though there is strong 4G signal. I have spoken about 5 times in the chat, and they reset my 4g settings, checked my account, but nothing. I also tried the sim in different devices, but again - only 3g. Whenever I enter an area with 4g coverage, my phone goes to No Service for about 5 minutes before going back to 3g again. I have performed a network reset on my device, i have taken the sim out for 30 minutes, restarted the phone, but the issue remains. 3G is very slow here because it is a touristy area and speeds often drop below 1mbit. I tried a local Vodafone IT sim card, and my phone immediately connected to 4G with a full signal and excellent data speeds.

49 REPLIES 49

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/ireland-plus/

I've been signed up to Ireland plus since last September however since the middle of June I can no longer get 4g in Ireland where I was previously getting it, my plan allows me to
: You’ll be able to use the inclusive minutes and texts from your UK Pay monthly plan when calling and texting from the UK to the Republic of Ireland, without paying international charges. So you’ll enjoy the same freedom as you get from your plan within the UK
These are your words not mine.

I'm paying for this plan
I'm connected to Vodafone IRELAND
I'm getting atrocious data speeds and even worse customer service.
Please Sort this out in a timely manner before I have to start contacting OFCOM and getting solicitors involved for breach of contact.
Several weeks ago everything was perfect
I had no issue with 4g when roaming, now that the roaming charges have been abolished you have restricted my access even though the charges have been dropped I'm still being billed.
A very frustrated soon to be ex customer

So it has been almost a week and my issue is still unresolved. I'm pretty sure the "48 hours" will turn into a month if I'm lucky. This morning again 3g-->No Service-->3g .

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The one consistent in all these threads is customers seem to be unable to access 4G whilst roaming and the problem seems to have begun (or started to be flagged) from mid June.

Are the Vodafone tech teams (for those who have spoken to them) dealing with this as a widespread problem or are they dealing on a case by case basis? The problem is here, most users will be back in the UK before this is resolved. 

The Vodafone tech team are "dealing" with this on a single user basis. I say "dealing" because the issue still hasn't been resolved. Today I was in Milan and still had no 4g, plus most of the time had no service whilst the phone was trying to connect to 4g. Also, this evening from about 5 to 9 I had no service whatsoever, no 4g/3g/2g on any operators. 3g/2g roaming is back now

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@adslev I'm sorry to see you're currently having issues in Ireland. 

Please contact us so we're able to assist you further - I've sent you private message with the information on how to do this. 

So it's been a week almost, and still no change. The "unbeatable 4g abroad" doesn't exist anywhere it appears. I was in Lugano, Switzerland this morning and had terribly slow internet, only 3g, so slow that Google maps wouldn't even load. I put my local Vodafone IT sim in the phone, it connected straight away to Swisscom 4g on roaming and worked perfectly.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@amh13 – I’m sorry you’re still having problems.

So my team can help further, please try resubmitting the form using a different browser and email address. Let us know once it’s sent and we’ll check we’ve received it.

Yes exactly and then they tell you that the situation is now resolved, and next time you go abroad you have the same issue again. The vodafone tech team is highly incompetent and they keep asking me if I have roaming switched on (even though I have 3g abroad). 

Vodafone is such a large company, they are no longer able to hear their customers, and even less able to resolve any technical problem that are slightly more complicated than average.

My girlfriend has exactly the same problem, no 4g but only 3g when roaming, while I have no problem with 4g and have exactly the same contract and phone. It is definitely a vodafone problem. I'v ecalled them around 10 times, but it's impossible to anybody on the phone that has the slightest idea how to help.

Are you and your girlfriend sharing the same account?

I have 3 sims on my account and all 3 are having the same issues. Again i called the complaints team today and they were very puzzled as to why i'm not getting 4g, they also said that the issue has been escalated to the network management team. We'll see what happens, i doubt anything will change.