Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No incoming calls or texts from non-Vodafone numbers

Lile
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

This post/query is primarily for tech support, but if any community member have experienced the same issue before, telling me what resolved it would be much appreciated. The phone in question is a Sony Xperia X Compact.

I requested porting my Giffgaff number to my new Vodafone SIM on  5.10.2016. As it usually takes a day, I tried it on 06.10.2016, asked two people to ring me on the number I requested to port, and I rang them back, and it all worked fine (I don't know what network they are on).

Then since 08.10.2016, I have not been able to accept incoming calls or texts. I tried it with different people/numbers, all to the same result: they dial me and it doesn't actually dial, or they send the text, but it never arrives to me. Any call I make or text I send rings/gets delivered on the other end just fine, and my 4G internet works fine too.

I went to a Vodafone store to enquire about this on 09.10.2016, where they texted me from a Vodafone number, and I got it immediately. However, another staff member texted me from a non-Vodafone number, and I never received that text. Then they told me to contact technical help with this, so I chatted to someone about it online on 09.10.2016., and they assured me that my issue will be taken care of.

On 10.10.2016., I spoke to customer service/porting team/tech support on two different occasions, and the second time round, about 24 hours ago, they finally admitted that something went wrong with porting my number, but they can sort it out for me, and it usually doesn't take too long. They said that yesterday, not exactly my definition of 'not very long.'

It is very frustrating not to be able to use such basic functions on a phone, to some extent, it renders it useless if I can't receive texts or calls. It makes me wonder why should I pay for a service that doesn't work??

It is not a phone issue, I have used Android phones and tablets for 4 years, I know how the settings work. I looked under barring options, it says 'disabled' under every category. However, if I try to change that, I just get a network error message. (Clue?)

Things I have tried so far, with the same/no result

- putting the SIM in my old, unlocked phone

-putting it back into my current phone

-switching flight mode on/off

-restarting the phone

-switching it off for an extended period (about 7 hours)

-selecting manual network search, attempting to connect to a different network, then manually connecting to Vodafone 4G again

-downloading network settings again

-resetting network settings to default (although this has nothing to do with the actual mobile network).

None of the above have worked, and as I said, I am thinking about having to cancel a brand new contract, as there is no point paying for something that doesn't work, and does so clearly not because of user error.

I would be happy for Vodafone to send me a new SIM and try porting the number to that if that is the solution, but I am not willing to pay for this service in its current state for much longer.

Any help is much appreciated, trying to find a solution soon.

13 REPLIES 13

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Lile

This sounds very much like a Split port where not all the files have settled. 

The Porting Teams will need to investigate this for you. 

There isnt anything you can do from your end I'm afraid. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

From what you describe it sounds like you have what is called a split port where the functionality has moved over entirely from one network to the other.

This can be resolved but can take a little while to do.  Call up 191 and ask them to raise the issue with the porting team for you.  The porting team should be able to help you resolve the issue. 

PWIAC

I know, I spoke to 191 yesterday, they did say they'll have it sorted out, although they also said it doesn't normally take too long, so I assumed it would be resolved the next day. But yeah, it sounded to me like a split port too, based on online research... I guess I'll wait a bit longer, and hope that some of the tech team also reads this.

By the way, when you say a little while, do you mean 1-2 days or more like 4-5?

BandOfBrothers

Unfortunately there is no set timeframe on this type of situation. 

I would suggest Just keep in mind your 30 day cooling off period. 

Current Phone  >

30 day cooling off period on what, what do you mean exactly? I already got an email from Giffgaff saying they are sorry to see me go, which indicates to me that they have released the number... 30 day would be a bit of a rip-off to be honest, if it took that long, I'd demand a refund for that month's bill to be fair...

BandOfBrothers

When a person joins Vodafone they have a 30 day cooling off period to cancel the contract and return to their previous network. 

After the 30 days the person becomes locked in for the contract duration unless the pay the contract off. 

Current Phone  >

I see, thanks for that, it'd be worth baring in mind. Although I seriously doubt that it would take more than a few days to sort it out (fingers crossed)...

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

I feel it warranted you are fully aware of your avenues. 

T&C's.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too. 

Current Phone  >

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Lile If this issue hasn't been resolved yet, please see the private message I've sent with details on how to get in touch.