Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Voice over LTE (4G)

Dmgkelly
4: Newbie
I am trying out Vodafone as I am thinking of switching from Three. On Three I can make calls over 4G rather than my phone switching back to 3G. It's very good. Is this something that is available on Vodafone. I have already got calling and texting over Wifi working using Vodafone which is really great and much better than using an app as I have to do on Three.

Many thanks for anyone that can help.
25 REPLIES 25

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

No one here knows and anyone at Vodafone who might know isn't saying.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

PedroC1999
16: Advanced member

I'd be suprised if there is not some public use in 6 months.

James5566
10: Established
I would place my bets that VoLTE will be brought in shortly after the new iPhone is announced.

jeffkinn
What connection is there between a new phone and a substantial upgrade to a national network?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

James5566
Vodafone WiFi Calling was announced last year just after the iPhone 6S was unveiled. VoLTE exists on Vodafone already, I believe they're waiting for the right time to release it from a commercial aspect. I don't think it's purely because of a technical reasons.

jeffkinn
I don't see the connection myself but will tell. I also don't see why VoLTE is such a big deal. I've had Wi Fi calling since day 1 and I've virtually never used it.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

PedroC1999

I wouldn't be so quick to disregard James. 

New iPhones come with a new version of iOS and therefore up to date Carrier versions. As we know, the carrier file is critical to VoLTE. 

Agree, and we know how vodafone like to hold back features that do work on older phones for commerical reasons. WiFi calling on iPhone 6 for example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@brandscill wrote:

Agree, and we know how vodafone like to hold back features that do work on older phones for commerical reasons. WiFi calling on iPhone 6 for example.

Completely agree with this - WiFi calling isn't a 'premium' feature it's literally just making up where the network falls short I don't see why they wouldn't enable it even on the 5s which also supports it. 

KoolFork
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Is there are more news about VoLTE becoming available on Vodafone?

Thanks