Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Battery not lasting on Lumia 530

magenta2204
4: Newbie

Hi

I've not had my phone for very long, when I first got it the battery would last around 3 days before needing charging. 

Just lately, the phone is not even lasting 24 hours!!!  I have recently had where I have charged it and it says there is something like 2 days or so before needing to be recharged but not even 24 hours later I either have something like 9% battery power left or my phone has switched off where it has run out completely. 

I have uninstalled all recent apps incase it was one of them, turned everything I can to not run in the background and turned off location. 

What else can I do to make the battery last more than a few hours?  I am getting to the stage of thinking of reverting back to my 2g phone as it lasted more than a week on a single charge. 

4 REPLIES 4

guinea19833
14: Advanced member
Sounds like you need to replace the battery rather than reverting back to old phone

GojuSuzi
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Whilst phone batteries don't have "charge memory" any more, the battery indicator can become uncalibrated quite easily, especially with all these turbo charge/charge boost/other buzzwords for surging power features.

Best first step is to try and recalibrate it. When it's already low (less than 14%) put it on AC charge (wall plug, not USB) and leave it as long as humanly possible. Usually 12-18 hours is best. Ignore the indicator saying it's 100%, it's still drunk and cannot be trusted. Next, run it down to again about 14%, then do another long charge. You should hopefully see it rake longer to hit 100% than the previous long charge. It should at that point 'remember' what a full battery is and set the battery status accordingly.

Assuming this gets things back on track, try to ensure good battery care:
* don't let it run so low it powers off (it'll happen with the best will in the world, but try to avoid it wherever possible as doing this does shorten the battery's lifespan);
* try to 'trickle charge' where possible, giving it a wee boost when you're sitting at your computer, in the car, eating dinner, etc. as this both makes shut-downs less likely and keeps the indicator ticking away without fully resetting and throwing off the calibration;
* reboot the phone every so often, as unless the battery dies, we tend to leave it running for days or even weeks without switching it off, and a wee reboot clears out the temp files that can be overwhelming it plus other goodness;
* try not to leave it charge to the point where it gets stupid hot, as this both risks damage to the phone itself, but can again reduce the battery's expected lifespan.

Now, if none of that helps, you may need to change some settings (disable 4G if applicable when you're not going to be using it, setting Location Services to battery saver mode if you're not going to due if GPS location drifts a foot or two, etc.), or even do a full factory reset to clear out any troublesome apps or services that are spinning fuelled by your poor battery. And yes, maybe even after all that it'll still come back to replacing the battery, but I'd try all that in case it's down to care or settings or what have you that'll just send the next one to an early grave.

Thank you, I will give that a try. 

I am not overlly impressed with the lumia phone, I have always had Nokia's so I got the lumia and although it has some good features I do think other phones are better so if I have to replace the battery I might prefer to change the phone - probably not that much difference in price.

hooker1uk

batteries do seem to have memory issues of the past, but many are blamed on calibration. If this was the case my s2 battery would still last over a day (not the anywhere from 10 mins to 8 hours it currently lasts) 

As for the 530, I found removing message+, vodafone apps and the things you won't use did the trick (I've had mine a week - not impressed with battery life at all, this does not bode well for the 630 I'll be reviewing soon) 

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK.