Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Configuration texts on rSAP disconnect!

RS3100
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Since August 2011I have been battling with Vodafone telephone support line to stop the sending of text messages regarding configuration settings each time the phone disconnects from the car.

I get a text saying the following:

"To make sure you can access the internet on your mobile we are sending your phone settings by text. Depending on your choosen price plan some internet services may incur a charge. For meinformation go to vodafone.co.uk/paygcosts".

Then a second message arrives

"Select 'Save' from 'Oprions' to configure all settings.
Access points
PAYG MMS
PAYG WAP
Multimedia access points:
PAYG MMS
Web Settings:
PAYG WAP"

Vodafone say the only way the messages will stop is if I change the settings on the cars system but when I enter the phone menu, the only options the car covers is adding or deleting a user and changing a user name. All other menus access my phone directly. I have had the car two years, no firmware updates on the car, had the phone the same time. What's more confusing is that it happens on my wifes car which is 18 months old. Both our cars are from the same manufacturer but different model ranges.  The phones we have are a Nokia 5230 and a Nokia 2730.

I'd be surprised if it is the cars unit becasue it happens on both cars when phones disconnect, both mobiles are on Vodafone network.  Both cars have been back to the dealer and there are no faults.  I fail to see why it could be a car fault as it only uses rSAp to allow a hands free control via Bluetooth.  This doesn't happen with any other bluetooth connection I make.

Why would my car instruct Vodafone to send instructions to my phone on how to connect to their services?

Any help greatly appreciated as we have missed some important messages as they get lost in the Vodafone list, approximatly 26 per day!  My wife has missed out on job interviews because of the same problem.

Hope someone can help here, otherwise it is a letter to Vodafone instructing them that I will bill them for the time it takes to delete the messages and take up with Ofcom as these are unsolicited messages.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pleased to confirm that the issue of irritating incessant Configuration Messages when using rSAP is now fixed on Vodafone!

The process to follow is:

1) Call 191 and speak to Customer Services.

2) Select the menu option for Technical Support, possibly labelled as "Problems using your phone".

3) Explain to the operator that you need to be put through to Level 3 support to make a change on their "VDC" system.

4) You might need to be put to Level 2 Support first, so you may need to repeat the request.

5) Eventually, you will be in touch with Level 3 Support. Instruct them to set your phone number on their "VDC Blacklist" which is a list of phones that should not be sent the Configuration Messages.

6) The Vodafone system will still register that you have (virtual) change of phone every time you use rSAP in your car, but the blacklist on your number will then block all Configuration Messages from being sent to your phone.

This block will not stop normal Vodafone text messages such as Vodafone Call Catcher or general customer service text messages.

It has been a very pleasant few days without the dozens of daily Vodafone Configuration Messages that clog up my system, so I have chosen to remain with Vodafone. Good service deserves to be rewarded with good customer loyalty - just wish it did not require the process of leaving Vodafone before somebody chose to address it in two days, when being told for the last four months that it was not possible to address at all!

My thanks to all at Vodafone who made this possible.

View solution in original position

81 REPLIES 81

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

Usually these messages only arive when you put your sim into a new phone

this is an important and useful service for customers who obtain a new handset from a 3rd party and want to use there vf sim in that new handset with minimum fuss 

It does however cause a small irritation for customers who swap their sim regularly between 2 or more phones that every swithc triggers these messages

the only reason I can think of that you would be getting them is that your car makes the vf network think that it is a new handset that has just acceptd your sim every time you connect 

TBH the issue is more likely to be in the way your car is connecting through your phone than something that is in VF's control

the fact that your wife has a car from the same manufacturer and experiences the same issue suggests that the issue is related to the car manufacturer 

Can I ask who this is (for future refference) 

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

I could accept what you say as the reason but for the fact when we purchased the phones we went 10 months without this issue on my car and 4 months without this issue with my wifes car. 

My car was purchased November 2010 at the same time as my phone and my wifes and we never had this issue.  We purchased my wifes car in May 2011 and again never had this problem.

The problem started when we got back from a foreign holiday in August 2011 and it has been continuous since.

If it is the way the fone disconnects thinking it has a new sim, then what could of happened while we were connected to a foreign network and how do we un do it?

Through different car forums I have found this happens with at least five manufacturers but all users are on the Vodafone network and regardless of phone manufacturer, all use the rSAP function.

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi RS3100,

Thanks for coming back to us with the additional information.  The text message that's being sent is only a recent change that we've made once you put your SIM into a new device.  It was much after August 2011 when this change was implemented so wouldn't account for it suddenty happening at that time.  As far as I'm aware there isn't any way for us to stop these text messages automatically sending out. 

It may be a good idea to contact the manufacturer of the bluetooth kit installed in your car as there may be a way that they can stop these messages from being received and telling the phone that the SIM has been installed in a new device. 

Many thanks,

Phil

Response from the car manufacturer is that due to an update to the Vodafone system it now means that Vodafone network is nolonger compatible with ###### cars manufactured prior to the Vodafone system update.  This is beacuse the Vodafone network recognises the phone disconnecting from the car as an error so triggering the text messages.

Therefore this renders Vodafone incompatible with all ###### OEM sataliote navigation and hands free kits installed at point of manufacture before the 2012 model year introduction so affects Skoda, Seat, VW, Audi, Lambhorghini, Bugatti, Bently and Porsche with respect to cars along with MAN, Scania and VW Commercial vehicles.

I could change the Satalite Navigation / Car kit ithat was built into my car at point of manufacture at a cost £1500+VAt and fitting due to a Vodafone upgrade?

Therefore I have been advised that after 20 years of loyalty to Vodafone, I might have tochange to a different network provider!

As this problem has been going on for so long, I could be wrong with my 2011 date, but it appears the Vodafone network upgrade will be cauing a lot of people the same issue as I have expereinced.  I wonder how many customers will leave Vodafone once I post the response I got from ###### technical services on their internet forums?

When was the Vodafone upgrade to the Vodafone network if it was after August 2011?

Surely if an upgrade can casue these texts to go out another simple upgrade can stop these?

For some reason, your forum doesn't like the company that makes my car!

###### refers to Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft, the Volkwagen Audi Group of car manufacturers.

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RS3100,

We’ve always sent out the setting by text when a change of handset is detected. It would appear that when your phone connects to the car’s Bluetooth system, it generates a virtual IMEI and gives the appearance that, as far as the network is concerned, a different device is in use. Once the phone is disconnected, the phone’s IMEI is then recognised by the network thus generating the settings texts you’re receiving.

If this is something that’s recently happened with you, has there been a software upgrade to your Bluetooth system when your car has been serviced? If this is a possibility, I’d advise you to contact the manufacturer to see if there is a later update available to you.

Thanks

Andrew

Phone firmware updated but predates when this issue started.  Firnmware in car has never been updated and the issue predates when my car had it's first service in November 2012 and my wifes car isn't old enough to of had its first service so the car firmware again is as the car left the production line.

To me this seems Andrew that you are contradicting what Phil has said and to be honest this is what I have come to expect from contacting Vodafone by phone.

Rather than tell me what the causes are, I would appreciate it if you tell me what the fix is.  By this I mean you fixing the issue or settinggs I can change on my phone rather than suggesting I change the system in my car which I would have to do twice (see earlier reply).

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there RS3100,

We're checking this for a definitive answer.

We'll update the thread when we've received clarification.

Cheers,

LeeH

I like RS3100 have been having the same problems and like him phone calls and letters to customer services have gone unresolved,I will not hold my breath with them solving this problem so shall be changing service provider at the first available opportunity.