Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Configuration texts on rSAP disconnect!

RS3100
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Since August 2011I have been battling with Vodafone telephone support line to stop the sending of text messages regarding configuration settings each time the phone disconnects from the car.

I get a text saying the following:

"To make sure you can access the internet on your mobile we are sending your phone settings by text. Depending on your choosen price plan some internet services may incur a charge. For meinformation go to vodafone.co.uk/paygcosts".

Then a second message arrives

"Select 'Save' from 'Oprions' to configure all settings.
Access points
PAYG MMS
PAYG WAP
Multimedia access points:
PAYG MMS
Web Settings:
PAYG WAP"

Vodafone say the only way the messages will stop is if I change the settings on the cars system but when I enter the phone menu, the only options the car covers is adding or deleting a user and changing a user name. All other menus access my phone directly. I have had the car two years, no firmware updates on the car, had the phone the same time. What's more confusing is that it happens on my wifes car which is 18 months old. Both our cars are from the same manufacturer but different model ranges.  The phones we have are a Nokia 5230 and a Nokia 2730.

I'd be surprised if it is the cars unit becasue it happens on both cars when phones disconnect, both mobiles are on Vodafone network.  Both cars have been back to the dealer and there are no faults.  I fail to see why it could be a car fault as it only uses rSAp to allow a hands free control via Bluetooth.  This doesn't happen with any other bluetooth connection I make.

Why would my car instruct Vodafone to send instructions to my phone on how to connect to their services?

Any help greatly appreciated as we have missed some important messages as they get lost in the Vodafone list, approximatly 26 per day!  My wife has missed out on job interviews because of the same problem.

Hope someone can help here, otherwise it is a letter to Vodafone instructing them that I will bill them for the time it takes to delete the messages and take up with Ofcom as these are unsolicited messages.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pleased to confirm that the issue of irritating incessant Configuration Messages when using rSAP is now fixed on Vodafone!

The process to follow is:

1) Call 191 and speak to Customer Services.

2) Select the menu option for Technical Support, possibly labelled as "Problems using your phone".

3) Explain to the operator that you need to be put through to Level 3 support to make a change on their "VDC" system.

4) You might need to be put to Level 2 Support first, so you may need to repeat the request.

5) Eventually, you will be in touch with Level 3 Support. Instruct them to set your phone number on their "VDC Blacklist" which is a list of phones that should not be sent the Configuration Messages.

6) The Vodafone system will still register that you have (virtual) change of phone every time you use rSAP in your car, but the blacklist on your number will then block all Configuration Messages from being sent to your phone.

This block will not stop normal Vodafone text messages such as Vodafone Call Catcher or general customer service text messages.

It has been a very pleasant few days without the dozens of daily Vodafone Configuration Messages that clog up my system, so I have chosen to remain with Vodafone. Good service deserves to be rewarded with good customer loyalty - just wish it did not require the process of leaving Vodafone before somebody chose to address it in two days, when being told for the last four months that it was not possible to address at all!

My thanks to all at Vodafone who made this possible.

View solution in original position

81 REPLIES 81

Webreaper
7: Helper
7: Helper
Hi there, Just resurrecting this thread, as I'm seeing the same issue. What's the procedure for getting added to the VDC blacklist these days?

Ian_C, I've sent you a PM with my details, hope that's enough for you to kick off the VDC Blacklist process. :Smiling:

Thanks!

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @Webreaper

We'd love to help. 

I've sent you a private message - please follow the steps to get in touch. 

Thanks, 

Amanda 

Thanks Amanda, I've followed the instructions. Appreciate the quick response!

I have the same problem, is the solution still the "VDC Blacklist"?

Yep. Worked for me. Crazy that Vodafone don't have an automated process for this, it seems stupidly manual.

thanks Webreaper, they say they've taken my number off and it takes between 2 minutes and 24 hours to work....we'll see

I've just bought a Skoda with the same Bluetooth unit so I have also been getting the connect and disconnect texts every trip. What is the best way to go about getting my number on the blacklist to stop the service updates?

exactly as in post 18 - took two goes but worked for me

Same as last post/post 18 - but BETTER.  Called 191, (option 2,2 from memory), explained to the agent that I wanted MY number added to the VDC blacklist - this needed a couple of attempts - and that she needed to speak to 2nd or 3rd line.  Put me on hold for a couple of minutes to speak to 2nd line, came back and said it would be done in the next 2-24 hours.  It was done in max 4 when i next got in the car.

Also 191 answered pretty quickly and no cut offs.

VF some things are getting better!  Keep it up.