Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Configuration texts on rSAP disconnect!

RS3100
2: Seeker

Since August 2011I have been battling with Vodafone telephone support line to stop the sending of text messages regarding configuration settings each time the phone disconnects from the car.

I get a text saying the following:

"To make sure you can access the internet on your mobile we are sending your phone settings by text. Depending on your choosen price plan some internet services may incur a charge. For meinformation go to vodafone.co.uk/paygcosts".

Then a second message arrives

"Select 'Save' from 'Oprions' to configure all settings.
Access points
PAYG MMS
PAYG WAP
Multimedia access points:
PAYG MMS
Web Settings:
PAYG WAP"

Vodafone say the only way the messages will stop is if I change the settings on the cars system but when I enter the phone menu, the only options the car covers is adding or deleting a user and changing a user name. All other menus access my phone directly. I have had the car two years, no firmware updates on the car, had the phone the same time. What's more confusing is that it happens on my wifes car which is 18 months old. Both our cars are from the same manufacturer but different model ranges.  The phones we have are a Nokia 5230 and a Nokia 2730.

I'd be surprised if it is the cars unit becasue it happens on both cars when phones disconnect, both mobiles are on Vodafone network.  Both cars have been back to the dealer and there are no faults.  I fail to see why it could be a car fault as it only uses rSAp to allow a hands free control via Bluetooth.  This doesn't happen with any other bluetooth connection I make.

Why would my car instruct Vodafone to send instructions to my phone on how to connect to their services?

Any help greatly appreciated as we have missed some important messages as they get lost in the Vodafone list, approximatly 26 per day!  My wife has missed out on job interviews because of the same problem.

Hope someone can help here, otherwise it is a letter to Vodafone instructing them that I will bill them for the time it takes to delete the messages and take up with Ofcom as these are unsolicited messages.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pleased to confirm that the issue of irritating incessant Configuration Messages when using rSAP is now fixed on Vodafone!

The process to follow is:

1) Call 191 and speak to Customer Services.

2) Select the menu option for Technical Support, possibly labelled as "Problems using your phone".

3) Explain to the operator that you need to be put through to Level 3 support to make a change on their "VDC" system.

4) You might need to be put to Level 2 Support first, so you may need to repeat the request.

5) Eventually, you will be in touch with Level 3 Support. Instruct them to set your phone number on their "VDC Blacklist" which is a list of phones that should not be sent the Configuration Messages.

6) The Vodafone system will still register that you have (virtual) change of phone every time you use rSAP in your car, but the blacklist on your number will then block all Configuration Messages from being sent to your phone.

This block will not stop normal Vodafone text messages such as Vodafone Call Catcher or general customer service text messages.

It has been a very pleasant few days without the dozens of daily Vodafone Configuration Messages that clog up my system, so I have chosen to remain with Vodafone. Good service deserves to be rewarded with good customer loyalty - just wish it did not require the process of leaving Vodafone before somebody chose to address it in two days, when being told for the last four months that it was not possible to address at all!

My thanks to all at Vodafone who made this possible.

View solution in original position

81 REPLIES 81

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RS3100

Sorry for the delay, I believe it is possible to add your number to the blacklist to stop these automated texts.

I've sent you a private message if you could reply back I'll be in touch to help you further.

terrylock1 - Do you have an email reference so that I can take a look at this for you?

Thanks

Sukhi

Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by an email reference?

Sukhi; I would love to say thanks for the private message, but the last one I had was 28 January 2013.

To be honest this is what I have come to expect from Vodafone technical support, you say you will do something but to date have always failed to carry that through.

When I phoned technical services last Saturday, I was promised an update within a few days and I am still waiting!!!!!!

This is my 20th year as a loyal customer and the first time I have encontered an issue with Vodafone service.  So far you either contradict each other or fail to carry through what you say you will do, hardly the way to retain my customer loyalty or is Vodafone doing so well in the current economic climate that it now feels the need itt has to drive customers away to continue in business?

To Rs3100,I agree and support every word that you have said in your last post-they will promise you to deal with the problem and then hang up and forget all about you,we are just a small wheel in a very large cog and maybe that is the problem,You have to speak with your feet and walk away as they are too big to care.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi terrylock1 The email reference is a 7 digit number which would have been sent to you in an auto reply. If you can let me know what this is I’ll be able to chase up your issue. If you cannot find the reference number, please get in touch via the private message I’ve sent you. RS3100 – I’m sorry my message never reached you I’ve sent it again, if you could reply I’ll be in touch. Thanks Sukhi

Hello,

I too have the same problem, since November approximately, and searched far and wide for the solution, but possibly may have a solution that can help which I have mentioned at the end. For Vodafone Tech Support to understand the problem, I too had posted my own request for help on 6th December 2012 at the following thread:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go-Services/Automatic-Configuration-Texts-Can-they-be-disa...

Sadly, no reply on that thread, then came across this thread today. This info is to help others in the same position, as well as help Vodafone Tech Support.

Like others on this thread, my new Audi system uses rSAP (Remote SIM Access Protocol) to run the phone and data services in the car, and is amazing in how it operates. Especially Google Maps and Street View, but that is another matter...!  :smileyvery-happy:

The rSAP is a better protocol than basic hands-free as it uses the car hardware and antenna to make phone calls, hence better sound quality and less drain on the phone handset battery enabling it to remain in the pocket without the need to use a phone charger all the time. In the case of the Audi system, the connection is also used to power the data services which provides Google Earth satnav images, google traffic to enhance accuracy of TMC, etc.

For those unaware of the rSAP technology, the car has a fully fitted GSM compatible phone, with its own SIM slot in case it is needed. This hardware has its own IMIE number. For those with phones with bluetooth that can support rSAP, the SIM inside the phone is "virtualised", and sent to the car phone hardware via bluetooth which "virtually inserts" that SIM as if it was removed from the phone and inserted in the SIM slot in the car. In reality, the SIM remains in the phone, but the phone also collaborates the story by behaving as if the SIM was removed, showing "No SIM" on the screen. When the engine is switched off, the opposite happens, where the SIM is "virtually removed" from the car phone hardware, and "virtually returned" to the phone handset.

Since Vodafone believes the SIM has moved from one device to another, it sends this configuration message. When moved back, it sends it again. And again, and again, and again...! :smileymad:

Irritatingly, I was getting about a dozen text messages a day from Vodafone telling me the same thing as RS3100 was saying plus configuration messages because Vodafone thinks I have moved my SIM from my phone to another phone when the rSAP goes active as I start the engine, and then back to the phone again as rSAP deactivates as the engine is turned off.

About a dozen times a day is normal, usually many more, messages. I now ignore the phone as it beeps all the time with new messages, and I now end up deleting all the messages in the evening only to find one or two important genuine messages that were not read earlier because the beep was ignored.

My contract is about to end so, in the absense of a response to my post on the other thread, I phoned Vodafone to move to another network who does not hound their customers in this way.

The operator was sensible and put it through to tech support, who assumed it was a bluetooth fault. I persisted and was put through to a second level tech support who was convinced it was a phone handset fault. I still persisted and they in turn referred it to yet a further level somewhere. My biggest surprise was how nobody could understand rSAP and they were all convinced my phone or bluetooth was faulty!

Still, eventually somebody with the patience to understand and investigate was then located. That person strongly believes they have fixed the problem. Apparently, the solution is for Vodafone Tech Support to place a block on my phone number in their internal "VDC" system which controls the sending of any Configuration Messages by Vodafone to a particular customer phone. As a result, they assure me that the hounding will stop, and other related messages like the one quoted by RS3100 will also stop as they are inter-connected messages.

I will be out in the car tomorrow and will be able to report back if this has fixed the issue.

I hope it has worked, as it will give hope to others like me who enjoy the benefit of the best on-board electronics the motor industry can provide, but otherwise flumoxxed by a mobile phone network that has not kept up with the pace of technology. The rSAP is not new, had it in a phone 9 years ago (Nokia 9500) but the value for data purposes is only now apparent.

If it is fixed, Vodafone will retain a long standing customer.

Hope this helps others, particularly Vodafone Tech Support, who can then stop telling customers that the fault lies in their bluetooth or phone handsets!

Hi deepmeister,

Many thanks for the information you’ve provided, it’ll help anyone else facing a similar issue and point them in the right direction.

Thanks

Andrew

Pleased to confirm that the issue of irritating incessant Configuration Messages when using rSAP is now fixed on Vodafone!

The process to follow is:

1) Call 191 and speak to Customer Services.

2) Select the menu option for Technical Support, possibly labelled as "Problems using your phone".

3) Explain to the operator that you need to be put through to Level 3 support to make a change on their "VDC" system.

4) You might need to be put to Level 2 Support first, so you may need to repeat the request.

5) Eventually, you will be in touch with Level 3 Support. Instruct them to set your phone number on their "VDC Blacklist" which is a list of phones that should not be sent the Configuration Messages.

6) The Vodafone system will still register that you have (virtual) change of phone every time you use rSAP in your car, but the blacklist on your number will then block all Configuration Messages from being sent to your phone.

This block will not stop normal Vodafone text messages such as Vodafone Call Catcher or general customer service text messages.

It has been a very pleasant few days without the dozens of daily Vodafone Configuration Messages that clog up my system, so I have chosen to remain with Vodafone. Good service deserves to be rewarded with good customer loyalty - just wish it did not require the process of leaving Vodafone before somebody chose to address it in two days, when being told for the last four months that it was not possible to address at all!

My thanks to all at Vodafone who made this possible.

MRAqs

I also have this problem having just bought an S4-active.

But how do I actually speak to a Vodafone advisor who can help?

I just discovered 191 is almost impossible to get to a person!

LIveChat via App doesn't cut it!

This thread does seem so helpful and tantalisingly close to a solution - I just need to speak to somebode who understands!

Please help!

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there MRAqs,

Thanks for posting.

deepmeister has already given the solution!

If you'd like us to help you with this, click here and send us your details.

Cheers,

LeeH