Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Getting delayed text messages

Dan500uk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I seem to be getting some text messages delayed on my phone. It is not every time but often I will suddenly receive several text messages an hour late all at once. When I am sending messages (or have sent them recently) I usually receive the messages instantly. However, if I haven't been active on my phone for several hours then it is likely to happen. The frustrating thing is its happening while I have full signal with HSPA+ (the Internet speed is very quick in the area so no issues with signal). I have went through the process of re-choosing vodafone on the network selection and doing several resets, but nothing seems to help.

Please help.

Many thanks
Dan
7 REPLIES 7

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Dan500uk,

If you’re up to date on the network then there’s obviously something else that’s affecting you being able to receive texts.

How old is your SIM card? If it’s 12-18 months old then I’d advise you to pop to a Vodafone store and pick up a free of charge replacement. The store will have you up and running before you leave.

If you have a new SIM anyway, then there could be delays on the sending network. When you get delays, is it always from one number or several? Are they all on different networks or the same (O2, Orange etc.)?

Thanks

Andrew

The sim card is only three weeks old. The delayed text messages are from a variety of networks not one particular. Basically if i haven't used the phone for several hours i wont receive a new text sent to me for about an hour regardless where the message is from.

Hi Dan500uk,

Thanks for the information. With the SIM being only a few weeks old it’s possible, but unlikely, that it’s the cause of the issue. From what you’ve said, it seems that your phone may be having difficulty maintaining its connection to the network.

What phone is it that you have? Are you able to do a factory reset on the phone (remembering to back up your data first)? Are you also on the latest version of software for the phone?

If none of the above resolve your issue, I’d recommend sending your phone for repair. There’s more information here.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 920. It has the latest software and i have tried resetting but makes no difference. I didn't buy the phone direct from Vodafone. I got it from a different company on Vodafone contract. As I have only had the phone three weeks, should I contact Nokia directly? I assume Vodafone wouldn't be able to assist me with repairs or is this not the case as the phone is under warranty?

thanks

Dan

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting. There's a couple of things you can do before contacting Nokia or the retailer you got the phone from to check for a repair. 

1) Try your SIM card in another phone or a different SIM in your Nokia Lumia 920 to see if the fault remains on either.

2) Check our Faults Board for any local issues we've had reported.

3) Have a look through our handy Troubleshooting Guide to see if it's something local that needs to be raised to our engineers.

As you didn't get the phone from us directly, I'm afraid we're not able to support the warranty for you. However, the Nokia Repair Centres are more than capable of handling it for you. Click this link to find your nearest one. :Winking_smiley:

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers, Ben

I am getting the issue above with my Nokia Asha 300 phone, I have tried my SIM card in another Nokia phone and have the same issue which seems to be going on for the last few months.    

The problem is not the SIM card, before you ask that I change it as I think that there are issues with the Vodafone mobile phone network that are delaying messages from other phone networks being delayed.   

I had an e-mail sent to me at 12:30pm today, my phone shows that it was received at 1:30pm, yet it did not get received until after 2:30pm today!!!.    

Is there a way that I could test sending a text message from my e-mail account at all please? 

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Have you followed the advice that Ben gave in the post above yours... HERE

There isn't a nationwide issue with delayed messages, so it could be a local problem or a device specific problem?