Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Lumia 625 MMS not working

sparky17
5: Helper

Hi,

One of the phones on my account we have recently changed. We bought a Nokia Lumia 625 (PAYG) from the Vodafone store, delivered to the local Vodafone shop. They transfered my wifes existing pay monthly number to the new micro sim card and set the phone up. All OK. So are using a pay monthly sim only account, as was previously with an old HTC which worked OK, but new sim card, smae number.

Except we cannot get a picture message to send. Everything else works, internet etc, but unable to send an MMS message. It keeps saying "Cant send message, try again".

Access Point is set to Vodafone UK Contract and shows as active.

Help! Anyone any idea? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK. Problem sorted. It was the SIM Card ! Resolved by a very helpful vodafone shop. Swapped SIM. All data is now working again as is MMS. Thanks to all for their input.

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

I now have to confess to having taken my wifes word for something!

It turns out that internet access doesn't work either, when you switch off wi-fi. So I guess that would explain mms not working.

I have installed the settings that come from txting WEB to 40127 but still no joy.

Is this a sim/account problem or an unidentified phone setting? Data is switched on.

Maybe have to get her to take it back to the Vodafone shop and get them to have a look.

Just checked my account online and it looks as if the phone has logged accesses to WAP up until last Thursday, 24th. But not since. Is that significant?

hrym
17: Community Champion

It sounds as though data isn't working on your phone (just to state the obvious).   You could check to see that the APNs (the internet settings) are in place and selected as default.  However, if it was working before, there's no reason to suppose they'd disappear all of a sudden.   The other possibility is a local network issue (if your phone is working in the same place, that would rule that out, of course).  The only setting I can think of that would affect it otherwise is Airplane Mode, though that would stop it being a phone either.   A trip to a Vodafone shop might help - it depends on whether there's someone there who's sufficiently familiar with the phone.

OK. Problem sorted. It was the SIM Card ! Resolved by a very helpful vodafone shop. Swapped SIM. All data is now working again as is MMS. Thanks to all for their input.

hrym

Why is it that, when the issue probably isn't the SIM, we all pile in and suggest a replacement "just in case"?   Then, when it is, we forget about that posibility altogether. :smileyembarrassed: Glad to hear you're sorted.

Hi sparky17,

That’s fantastic news that it is now fixed.

If you ever need anything else please pop back and ask :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Laura 

I had a similar problem but mine was due to having wifi turned on. So three questions for the tech team:

1. Why is it not made obvious to customers that they have to switch wifi off before trying to download mms?
2. Why can't the device recognise that a mms is being downloaded and ignore the wifi using mobile data automatically?
3. Is this just a vodafone issue as none of my friends with other carriers seem to have to switch wifi off to receive mms?

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

To answer your questions:

1. If you note above, I did double check to make sure that WiFi wasn't on.  It may not occur to everyone that this could be an issue.  MMS is a network service and has nothing to do with WiFi, so I suppose the assumption is that you wouldn't have WiFi on when using a network service. 
  2. WiFi "over rides" the data connection so it won't send.  Why the devices don't recognise this - that is a question to ask the manufacturers.
  3. No, you have to have an active data connection to the mobile network in order to send / receive MMS messages. 

Remember, that if you use a third party app such as WhatsApp, it can send pictures using WiFi

PWIAC

hrym

Every so often, when I'm on wifi, I can see a mobile data connection being made briefly so it would appear that apps can switch over when necessary.  I don't use MMS, so I don't know whether it would work with that.   My phone is Android, so I wonder whether "sticky wifi" a Windows thing?