Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Microsoft Lumia

PGlynn
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

My last couple of mobile phones have been Android based, but I'm tempted by the latest Lumia models. I know they are Microsoft based, but , if anyone has one, would I still be able to back up all my data, (Contacts, apps, documents etc) to my Google account?

Pete

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@PGlynn 

With the phone being a different OS, you would need to back up your contacts to a Microsoft account, Hotmail/Live.  You would also be able to synronise with Outlook.

Windows Phone - Microsoft download center

Don't know who put solved on this thread, I certainly didn't.

After further research on the internet I believe it is possible, with the latest versions of windows, to sync all the usual stuff, IE Contacts, Calender, Tasks etc. with a Google account. That is my interpretation of what I have read, it would be great if somebody could confirm this as I really do fancy the latest Nokia (Microsoft) offerings.

Thanks in advance 

Pete

Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @PGlynn

For more information on the Googlemail Synchronization, see here.

Cheers,

Laura

Thanks for your reply Laura, but that link only talks about Windows 7, and as I mentioned in my post, I think, from my research, that the latest versions of windows, IE Windows 8.1, which I'm fairly sure all new Lumia 930's ship with, that full synchrinisation with Google is possible. But I would love somebody to confirm that I'm correct in my interpretation of what I have read.

Thanks again,

Peter

63johnw
Hi there, I have android and lumia phones and my google account is synched to both. I have contacts and emails synched and they come through OK.

You do need Microsoft account too as Ann has said but I think that was more for getting the phone set up initially.

63johnw many thanks for your help, the more I look at the Nokia 930 the more I'm tempted.

Thanks again.

63johnw
It is a nice phone, I am very impressed with the screen, the only slight drawback is the lack of some apps, for example sky go, Chromecast (any google apps really), my Vodafone app (also at present for some reason you can't access your Vodafone account even with the browser on the phone). So I would check and see if there are any apps that you have to have are available. As I say, the phone us great, the camera too is super, it's just apps.