Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Nokia Lumia 1020 warranty repair

christaitfife
4: Newbie

So... I have a Nokia Lumia 1020 which I really like (it would be better if there were more 'core' apps... but that is my only grumble). Well a couple of months ago the ear piece speaker gave up the ghost and the nice man on 121 (via speaker phone!) to take it into a store and it'll get fixed.

The phone was sent away to be repaired, but they decided to send a 'refurbished' one back. I wasn't happy as I had kept my handset in imaculate condition, but was prompltly reassured by the girl in the shop that it wasn't really refurbished - it was a phone that someone had but returned after a day or two andhad been certified as 'as good as new'. I looked over the phone and it was indeed in great condition so took it home.

When I tried to charge it it took 24 hours to gather a 'full' charge, it then discharged in about 3 - 4 hours. It then just wouldn't turn on. I took it back to the shop absolutly livid. Vodafone isn't the cheapest supplier, but I wanted to go through a 'quality' network.

I was told that it would have to get sent away again - this time it was away for about a two weeks. When I went into the shop to collect the phone I was told that it was another replacement.

This time the handset is not in the same cosmetic condition as my original - a mark on the bezel around the lense and what look like mini-chip marks around the sim tray. I was promptly advised this was acceptible wear and tear and I could do nothing about it. It is really annoying as my phone hadn't had a scuff, mark, blemish or anything negative on it.

So, after a few days of using my phone I started to worry about it's battery life. It is no where near that of my original phone - which I normaly had around 1.5 - 2 days battery life after a full charge. I unplugged my phone from charging at just before 9am this morning and as of 5pm it had a charge of 10%. So I guess it will last 9 - 10 hours after a full charge, that is about 20 hours less than by original phone. There was no new exessive usage, no GPS, limited browsing and minimal use of Xbox Music.

So where do I stand and what do I do. Should I take the phone back to the shop as it is 'unfit for purpose' and see if they can fix it properly? Would it be possible for me to get my original phone back - I would much rather try to get that fixed than have the one I have now.

I wish I had never used Vodafones repair service. If your Lumia is broken - use Nokia's official repair service and stay well clear of Vodafone.

13 REPLIES 13

thesoupdragon
17: Community Champion
Sounds like a good result, well done! 😊

No, it wasn't a good result.

A good result would have been my original handset being fixed at the first point of contact.

A good result does not consist of 2 failed replacement phone (one of which was badly suffed), 4 repairs and over 24 hours dealing with the situation. 

It is an acceptible conclusion but no better than that. After 10 years being with Vodafone, in April next year I will no longer be with them. For me, on that date, the result will be Good.

thesoupdragon
Whoa...! Calm down fella...

I was simply pleased for you, that you've managed to get a new phone.

Don't worry, I'll leave you alone!

Sorry. I didn't mean to snap - still very angry with Vodafone. There service is wholly acceptable and I don't want anyone to think that a new phone fixes that.

I'm just happy that I can move on and look forward to the end of the contract.