You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
MarkLilliman

Nokia Lumia 920 freezing overnight while charging

Hello everyone,

It's my first post here, and unfortunately not a happy one (as is often the case with online forums where you can report issues and canvass for other users' experiences!).

I upgraded to my Nokia Lumia 920 on the 12th Feb, and initially charged it here and there throughout the day without any problem at all.  The WP8 OS is fantastic, a real joy to use.  I like being able to 'pin' items of interest to my front screen as a tile - whether that is a photo, contacts I call regularly, or SMS, gmail and hotmail message notifications.

I'd read internet reports of stability issues and figured that if things went wrong in the first 7 days then I could return the phone to Vodafone, no great shakes.  During those 7 days, I recall the phone froze on me once, maybe twice.  The first was when I awoke the next day to find my alarm hadn't gone off (I use my phone as an alarm clock), and the phone was lifeless; not even switching on when holding down the power button.  I'd read about this online and understood that Nokia had provided a 'soft reset' procedure for rebooting the phone.  This worked, but reset the date and time which needed to be manually set - for some reason the "set date and time automatically" option, now no longer works.  The second occurence was in the office while the phone was not in use.  It had frozen within the 10 mnutes since I'd last needed to use it.

I've subsequently found that every night I have left the phone charging, the phone is frozen come the morning and a soft reset is required.  This is incredibly frustrating.  While I accept it is not preferable to leave a phone charging overnight, I have plenty of other devices (and previous phones) that have come through this experience without having a meltdown.  Plus, if you're out on the go during the day, overnight is often the only time to give your phone the juice it requires for the next day.

Having reported my issues to Vodafone in store (who advised me to not charge my phone overnight and to work around the issue (I'm serious..)), I'm now commencing 'Operation Defreeze'.  Today I clicked on "reset phone" and have gone back to the 'out of the box' state.  I have setup up the bare minimum in terms of accounts (I require a Google account to be configured to retrieve my contacts), and have not set-up Spotify or Facebook, nor indeed, downloaded and installed any other apps.  I'll see how the phone behaves tonight.

My other half has a WP8 phone too - the HTC 8X - and as far as I'm aware it has behaved flawlessly.  She has her work email and calendar synced on there, Spotify, Facebook, Hotmail... I've hardly heard a pip from her.  It certainly hasn't been locking up.  So this is looking like a Nokia hardware issue or a poor implementation of WP8, although you'd struggle to see any differences between the flavour of WP8 on the HTC compared with the Nokia.

There is some Vodafone software on the device.  I'm presented with the Vodafone logo when the phone starts up, and there are a few apps such as the Vodafone Hub and a few other bits and pieces.  While no means bloatware, Vodafone have customised the WP8 experience on the Nokia Lumia 920 they sell and as such, I assume the device has passed all their quality assurance testing.

Anyway, the reason for this long post - aside from tracking how Operation Defreeze goes - is to ask if other Nokia Lumia 920 owners are experiencing similar issues?

As I've stated, I love the device (the camera optics and OIS is fantastic), it feels solid, has a great screen and call quality, but is being let down hugely by having to soft reset the phone on an intermittent basis.  Since Feb 12th, my phone has locked up 6 times; 4 times while being charged overnight (which I'm now avoiding doing...).

Mark

Message 1 of 15 (4,359 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
James

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 freezing overnight while charging

[ Edited ]

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your posts here.

I must admit that it is a little surprising to see these issues but also to see the comments that have been made by the store during the initial 7 day cooling off period.

To help get a full resolution for this please can you let us know how you have got on without charging it over night?

Also, I have sent you a quick PM to see if we can look at arranging an exchange for you as the fault was reported to us within the first seven days.

If you follow the instructions on the PM one of the team will be able to look into this for you.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 2 of 15 (4,315 Views)
MarkLilliman

Hi James,

Thank you for your response.  Just to be clear, I did not report the fault within the first 7 days.  I'm quite tech savvy and so put the two locking up instances during that time down to early teething problems.  For instance, there were Nokia developed app updates waiting to be installed when I received my phone (which I installed).  Still, the end user shouldn't expect to have these issues when paying for a flagship device, and perhaps I'm more accommodating having worked as a software developer in the past.

In any case, on to the good news and I'm happy to report that following the (hard?) reset yesterday, for the first time I was awoken by the sound of my Nokia alarm this morning!  I can't be sure if I've turned a corner or whether last night was a one-off.  I'm going to see if things work smoothly tonight while the phone is charging.

For those interested, I did the following prior to going to bed:

1. Settings > about > reset your phone.
  2. On restart, set-up Microsoft Live account.
  3. Logged into Nokia account using my Facebook credentials.
  4. Logged into my Gmail account and set synchronisation interval to 1 hour.
  5. Set-up home wi-fi account.
  6. Internet sharing, bluetooth, tap+send, flight mode, battery saver, kid's corner, feedback, all off or disabled.
  7. Location, find my phone, feedback to Nokia, all on or enabled.
  8. Updated ALL pre-installed apps/software with the latest versions from the WP8 Store. (* I THINK THIS MAY BE IMPORTANT*)
  9. Removed Xbox and ESPN apps from my front screen.
  10. Disabled wi-fi before going to sleep. (* MAY BE IMPORTANT *)

I'll see how things are tomorrow and if all is well, will leave wi-fi on overnight (one lock-up instance that occurred during the day was when connected via wi-fi to a VF 3G MBB dongle which was subsequently turned off).  This is why I'm considering wi-fi to be a potential cause factor.

Kind regards,

Mark.

Message 3 of 15 (4,282 Views)
MarkLilliman

Oh, one further change was to set photos and videos to only be uploaded to Sky Drive with a wi-fi connection, rather than over 3G.

This could be a factor considering that I'm disabling wi-fi overnight.

Message 4 of 15 (4,280 Views)
MarkLilliman

Another success!

@James - Would you recommend re-enabling wi-fi, my Facebook account and notifications or stick to the original plan and just turn on wi-fi overnight then 'ramp up' back to normal usage?

Message 5 of 15 (4,252 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi Mark,

It's a tough one, to be honest.

On my Android phone I turn off my mobile data connection and leave WiFi on. How has the phone behaved when leaving WiFi off overnight?

If it's been OK I'd be inclined to turn WiFi on and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 6 of 15 (4,231 Views)
MarkLilliman

Further freezing. I've had enough and will be returning the phone to a store today. Hopefully it is just a faulty handset as my other half has been blissfully enjoying her (WP8) HTC 8X for several weeks without a single issue.

Message 7 of 15 (4,039 Views)
mlilliman

Well, received my Nokia Lumia 920 back today from the Vodafone Repair Centre.  It came in bubble wrap with some paperwork which explained what tests had been run and what had been fixed.  In my case, the issue had purportedly been resolved by applying a software update.

However, on unwrapping the phone I noticed a significant scratch in the (Gorilla?) glass, in the top left corner around 2 cms in length, and a couple of marks to the casework where it looks like a tool was used to leverage the screen off.  Quite frankly I was gobsmacked, and that feeling has now been replaced with downright annoyance.

I returned my Nokia Lumia 920 to Vodafone with less than 2 weeks use, in 'As New' condition (as inspected by Eoin the Vodafone CSA, and reported on the repair booking form), and a fortnight later it has been returned, mishandled, damaged, and now has been sent back to the Repair Centre to fix the cosmetic damage they caused.  Zee, who booked in the device today was great, and has documented the damage and stated that this has all appeared whilst in repair.  But I now have at least another 7 days wait while I use a PAYG handset on my £52 a month contract.

I'm now left with no confidence.  Is the screen going to be replaced or repaired?  Is my handset going to be replaced with a refurbished unit?  Presumably, this would mean a different IMEI number?  And where was the quality control in checking the state of the device before it was returned?

Looking back, I've had a faulty mobile phone since day 1 and have paid the price in trying to troubleshoot the issues rather than returning it to Vodafone within 7 days.  Quite frankly, I'm considering cancelling my contract and getting a reliable handset with another service provider.

Regards,

Mark

P.S.  Had to re-register on eforums as signing in via my Facebook account isn't working for some reason.

Message 8 of 15 (3,785 Views)
Tech Team
Tech Team
Kay

Hi mlilliman, 

I'm sorry to hear of the experience you've had recently. It's disappointing that the handset was sent back in this condition. 

It's difficult as it's not something that happens often so I'm not sure what the repair centre will do to resolve the issue. I'd recommend waiting for the handset to come back into store and then we can take it from there. If you aren't happy with what has been arranged please let us know and we'll look into it further. 

Thanks, 

Kay

Message 9 of 15 (3,768 Views)
mlilliman

Hi Kay,

Thank you for your response.

In the case where a customer has owned a device for, say, 8 months and it develops a fault, then I can understand that the repair service works very well; the fault is repaired or a refurbished handset is provided.  But I am concerned that the best I can hope for is a refurbised handset when the Nokia Lumia 920 I returned was barely 2 weeks old and in 'as new' condition.  I paid an upfront cost for the device which does not reconcile with receiving a fixed or refurbished product.

Given that I am not prepared to accept a refurbished product, how can I take this further?  Should I ask to speak with my local store's manager?  I am looking for a new replacement to resolve this to my satisfaction.

Regards,

Mark.

Message 10 of 15 (3,761 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Dave

Hi mlilliman,

I'll pop you a PM so we can get your details. I cannot guarantee anything, but this will allow us to take a closer look at things.

You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Dave

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 11 of 15 (3,732 Views)
mlilliman

Hi Dave,

Details sent.

Regards,

Mark.

Message 12 of 15 (3,728 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Digsy

Hi, I just posted this in another thread on the same issue: "I suggest you do a Google search for locking up issues with the Lumia 920. It seems to be an extremely common problem with no known solution. I got a Lumia 920 on Saturday and three days later it started locking up while on standby. By coincidence this was just after I started getting into customising it and installing a few third party apps from the Windows Phone store. I have now started removed these apps to see if the situation improves, but plenty of people are reporting these problems with completely "out of the box" phones so I'm not holding out much hope. Luckily I'm well within the 7 day cooling off period, so I strongly suspect I will be downgrading to a 820 at the weekend. :smileysad:" From searching on here I can see that there are several people with the same problem. I think that the Forum mods should merge these threads and starte getting into finding a fix for this as I suspect they are going to see a lot more of the same issues as more people buy the 920!
Message 13 of 15 (3,366 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Digsy

After behaving for three days straight after removing some apps my 920 locked up again today. Its going to the shop tomorrow to be changed for an HTC 8X. Such a shame - its an otherwise brilliant phone ,but I have NEVER had to reset a smartphone as much as this one.
Message 14 of 15 (3,330 Views)
muteman

Hi, i currently have the Lumia 920 and one of the first to pick one up as vodafone lunch on the 6th of Febuary i picked up mine the following day 7th and all this time i can assure it's only not turn back on ONCE sometime back in May, i did try to charge but would not turn ON nor charge, was left with sending it for repair at one of the vodafone store or give it a day or two without charging it, opted for the later and just left the phone off not charging for a day or two. 

To get it back to charing i just held the power buton DOWN WHILE plugging in the charger to charge and only release the power button when i saw the display COME ON with the vodafone boot load.

Apart from that i have not experince any sprt of issues with my Lumia 920 despite being part of the first batch of the series from Vodafone as you will expect.

Do a back up with the cloud both settings, apps & text, and request for a replacement handset if offered or when sent for repair and as for restore so simple, just sign in to your live account when setting up the handset at the initial stage and you get everything restored back on.

Message 15 of 15 (2,991 Views)