You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Accepted Solution

Nokia Lumia 925 Charging / Battery Problem?

I've had my Vodafone Nokia 925 for a couple of weeks now.  Very happy with the phone & the Windows environment ... but I have a problem charging the battery.

The battery charges up to 100% OK but as soon as I disconnect the charger, the battery indicator falls to between 50% - 60%.  I've allowed the phone to run down to 5% and recharged to 100% for several cycles but I still have the same issue.  If I charge to 100%, disconnect the charger and immediately reconnect the charger, the phone says it has about 50% charge and then apprently continues to charge back up to 100% over the next 30 - 40mins.  When I disconnect, back to around 50% again.  My apparently half-full battery lasts for about 27hr (no calls, just a few email & SMS messages so basically standby time) before getting down to 5% - 10%.  So, I'm not sure if the battery is bad or the battery indicator is just wrong.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Message 1 of 17 (14,034 Views)

Re: Nokia Lumia 925 Charging / Battery Problem?

Out of curiosity I did a soft reset. The battery status magically jumped from 37% to 87%. I topped it up to 100% and everything seems normal so far.  First time I've seen the indicator at 100% since I've had the phone.  I'm not quite ready to say it's fixed yet but it does seem like there was a gremlin in the works ..... fingers crossed!

Message 2 of 17 (14,007 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

[ Edited ]

Hi ScienceMaster,

This is a strange one and it does sound like there was a bug somewhere.

Please keep an eye on this over the next week and let us know if anything changes.

James

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 3 of 17 (13,991 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II

That is vary odd, and not one I have experienced with my 2 week old Nokia Lumia 925.  Yes, please do let us know how it goes with your proplem. Hopefully it has resolved itself.

Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
Message 4 of 17 (13,986 Views)
Nabs
Topics: 246
Ideas: 9
Solutions: 454

Myrm wrote:

That is vary odd, and not one I have experienced with my 2 week old Nokia Lumia 925.  Yes, please do let us know how it goes with your proplem. Hopefully it has resolved itself.

Same! Not seen anything like it on my Lumia 925. It does just cound like a battery meter calibration issue, the soft of thing a reset should have resovled.

I really wanted to add that the battery life on this phone is fantastic compared to other smartphones. I've easily had a day and a half will moderate use.

Nabs

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 5 of 17 (13,950 Views)

I'm happy to report that after several charging cycles and a couple of phone restarts, the problem has not returned.  The Gremlin  seems to have been a very temporary one.

Maybe I'm missing something but there didn't seem to be an easy way to quickly check the battery status as frequently as I needed to while keeping an eye on this issue.  The standard icon didn't give me enough information so I used a free app from the Store simply called "Battery" (created by Arthur Semenov).  The app puts an active tile on the start screen showing % battery life remaining.  But it also records and displays battery use over time, both graphically and numerically (current discharge rate, average dischage rate, time since last charge, estimated time before next charge etc etc).  I found it very useful.

One stat you might be interested in is "Longest Battery Life Time".  With WiFi, Bluetooth & location all enabled and with light use, the battery took 44hrs to go from 100% to about 5%.  With moderate use I'm easily getting 36hrs on one charge.  This is light years ahead of my previous not-so-smart HTC Android phone that couldn't make it through a day without recharging and barely lasted 4 hrs if the WiFi was enabled but not connected.

The 925 is my first grown up Smart phone.  I love the phone.  I love Windows 8 and the integration of email, SkyDrive, Office and many other features with my Windows 8 tablet via my Microsoft account makes my life much easier.  This was definitely the right choice for me, despite all the peer pressure to go down the iPhone/Pad route.

Don

Message 6 of 17 (13,934 Views)
Nabs
Topics: 246
Ideas: 9
Solutions: 454

Nice find with the battery app! Just installed it on mine, massive improvement on the default options.

Find this post useful? Give it the thumbs up below!

Message 7 of 17 (13,930 Views)
thesoupdragon
Topics: 138
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 12
Solutions: 199

I've also installed the "Battery" App, it's very good! Thanks for the tip... :smileyhappy:

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 8 of 17 (13,869 Views)

Hi,Have a battery/charging problem with my phone.Put the phone on charge and was fully charged at 10.30pm but phone was completely flat the following morning.The phone will only hold its charge for a few hours also noticed that the phone and the charger seem to get very hot.I have taken the phone back to the local vodafone shop thinking i would get a replacement but the phone is being sent for repair,10 days and no phone..had to ask for on new sim to use in my old phone a N8 nearly 3 years old never had a problem with it and holds its charge for two day.

Not very happy at present.

Message 9 of 17 (13,214 Views)
Simon
Topics: 709
Ideas: 0
Solutions: 716

Hi ant1

Thanks for your post.

After the seven day returns period your phone would need to be sent for repair under warranty if it’s faulty.

Instead of having a new SIM you could just have a Micro SIM adapter so that you can use your SIM in a different phone. They’re pretty cheap to buy online.

Thanks

Simon

Message 10 of 17 (13,163 Views)

Hi Guys,

Had my 925 for 3 weeks and now the battery has started playing up. Charged it up overnight on Saturday, but Sunday morning it said it was critical. I thought i hadn't connected properly (or some other user error!) Charged it yesterday morning, it was fine. Last night it said battery was low, charged it last night, this morning, critical again. Plugged it in, two minutes later, it said the battery was full so I unplugged it. Two minutes later it said it was critical again. Just had a webchat where I was told my handset would need to be sent off to be repaired, if they couldn't do it in store. Very unimpressed as phone is so new. When I said that,  the webchat guy said it could be down to useage - ie I've broken it!!!!!  Fortunately, I have just read Sciencemaster's posts above, and have followed the advice. My battery icon has shown critical battery level since this morning, so I switched the phone off and on again, and it came up as full. I have now downloaded the battery app, as recommended by Sciencemaster and battery is at 99%. I assume that my handset has been plagued by the same 'bug' as Sciencemaster. Please can you let you webchat advisors know as if I had listened to him, I would have been phoneless for 10-12 days and very unhappy. Thanks to Sciencemaster for the great advice. 

Message 11 of 17 (12,690 Views)
thesoupdragon

I am now restarting the 925 every week as part of a little protocol. All my niggles like incorrect battery notification have gone.
It would be interesting to see if that helps others too?

TSD ;-)

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 12 of 17 (12,682 Views)

I have had my Lumia 925 for just over a week, and I am delighted with it. However, I have had one problem with battery.

At the start of using it, I would charge it in the evening and then leave it off-charge overnight in standby mode. In the morning I would have a 99-100% charge. At the end of the working day, with light use (I don't have time to visit hundreds of websites, and I only make a few calls) I would have 60-65% charge. This is brilliant. It would take about an hour to recharge to 100% again.

Yesterday, for the first time, when I activated the phone in the morning from standby the battery showed only 60% charge. It had drained 40% overnight without any use. 10 hours later, of very little use the battery was dead.

I read this thread and other forums on the net and carried out a soft-reset. This seems to have worked. This morning I had a 98% charge.

I am not concerned (yet) about this. I have upgraded from an Iphone 4s. I remember soft-reseting the iphone on several occassions due to errors (including battery drain).

Message 13 of 17 (12,282 Views)

yea i had the same i was charging at it seemed to be like stuck on 20% then i restarted my fone and it jumped up to 81% but still wouldnt charge any more. i thought of maybe taking the battery out and switching it with my mates to see if it was jst the battery but unfortunatly u cant get the battery out 

Message 14 of 17 (10,600 Views)
thesoupdragon

I have found that if the 925 gets a problem with charging, turning the Phone completely off, wait a minute then turn back on, the issue goes away!

I have pinned my problem down to charging via the USB Lead from my PC.

The last week I have only used the official Mains Charger and I haven't had the same battery problems. Infact the battery life has been amazing!

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 15 of 17 (10,588 Views)

I've had my 925 a couple of months now.

Every time I go to charge it from the mains adapter the phone seems to wait for about 10 seconds before it beeps to let me know it's charging. On occasion i've left it to charge overnight to wake up to a very low battery.

This morning was one of those occasions, however when I try to put it on charge either from the mains adapter, or via PC (using a different cable) the charging icon just flashes between charging state and normal discharging almost like it has an intermittent connection. It's even popping up multiple times on the PC with the device connected notification.

I'd say it was a problem with the charger/cable, but with trying two different chargers and cables I'm convinced it's a problem with the phone.

Message 16 of 17 (10,385 Views)
thesoupdragon

I would agree, if you've tried different cables then it must be a faulty phone.

The thing to bear in mind is physical damage to the charging socket won't. Be covered by manufacturer's Warranty but a faulty charging system will be.

You can either use Vodafone for the repair or contact Nokia direct.
;-)

Crimbo_Banner_TPJ.gif

Message 17 of 17 (10,368 Views)
Nexus 6

Nexus 6

More space to explore

Buy now