You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
disgruntled

Nokia N900 - have Vodafone locked the latest firmware update ?

New to the forum, as I cannot find any internet search to my answer. Vodafone finally released the latest firmware but i have 3 questions:

1 - noticed in the setting - a new option to "enter code to remove operator lock" - have Vodafone now locked the phone to Vodafone only - i cannot check as i do not have another operator sim card.

2 - Does anyone know how to activate video calling

3- is there anything from the generic firmware that Vodafone have decided to keep off the upgrade

Regards
S.
Message 1 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Digicom

Video calling is in contacts then tap on drop down arrow at top then click setting and display video calling option
Message 2 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Rank 1: Guest
disgruntled

thanks for the quick reply. found the option to enable video calls and it was already on. dumb question bujt how do i get it to work.i have looked for an option when dialing a number...
Message 3 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Digicom

Dont quote me on this but think 3G video calls on the n900 it is fully supported
As support limmeted for video calls using the internet (voip calls) though
Sticky Mick would surley be able to confirm this for you

Skype video calls on n900
1. First set up WLAN connection or check that you are in coverage of 3G network.
2. Set up Skype account to your device; tap the Application menu icon and select Settings > VoIP and IM accounts > New > Skype and fill in your account details and select Sign in.
3 .Once you have set up your account, contacts you have added to your account will be imported to the device. If you have done account set up earlier just set your availability as Online; tap the Status area and select Availability > Online > Save.
4. Open Contacts application and select one your contacts whose status is online and select Skype video call or if you have first started a Skype call open the Call menu (tap the title bar) and select Turn on video.
Message 4 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
Adam F

I know this may sound like a silly question but do video calls cost anymore on Vodafone? am I right in saying that it just uses the data from our 'unlimited' intertnet connection to send the video feed?
Message 5 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Sticky_Mick

@ Digicom: Not exactly sure, as I haven't tried Skype or Vid-calls as yet. But that procedure looks to be a logical answer.

@ Adam F: I think Vid-calls actually come off your data allowance, but a mod should be able to confirm this.

Not sure how you mean by "Have Vodafone locked the firmware?", but as far as I can see it's just the same old 205 ID that's in place. The "Operator lock code" could be the PUK, or as Vodafone have a problem with some handsets being randomly barred for no apparent reason, maybe it could be something to do with that.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.
Message 6 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Tanthalas

@ anotherdisgruntled: The Remove Operator Lock option is nothing to do with VF as it is present in the global PR1.2 release that I am using, which I downloaded long before VF released their version.

For anyone not sure where this option is, go to Settings then tab the top menu, it is an option there.

@ Adam F: I would tend to agree with Sticky, I believe that a video call would come off your data allowance as, technically, that is all it is ... a data tranmission.
Message 7 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Digicom

The standard rate for video calls to another Vodafone mobile is 35p per minute (incl. VAT). Calls to numbers on other networks cost 55p per minute.
Video calls you make whilst abroad are charged at the standard Vodafone World video calling rate.

This May Help You
Video Calls

Also Skype to Skype Video calls like Skype-to-Skype calls are free and won't cost a thing no matter where they are .
Skype Video Calling

I know this may sound like a silly question but do video calls cost anymore on Vodafone? am I right in saying that it just uses the data from our 'unlimited' intertnet connection to send the video feed?
Message 8 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Mad-Halfling

The standard rate for video calls to another Vodafone mobile is 35p per minute (incl. VAT). Calls to numbers on other networks cost 55p per minute.
Video calls you make whilst abroad are charged at the standard Vodafone World video calling rate.

This May Help You
Video Calls

Also Skype to Skype Video calls like Skype-to-Skype calls are free and won't cost a thing no matter where they are .
Skype Video Calling

I have seen posted by a VF employee that Skype calls aren't included in your data plan and would be chargeable data, still not really (I don't think) had confirmation whether this is correct or not
Message 9 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Tanthalas

I have seen posted by a VF employee that Skype calls aren't included in your data plan and would be chargeable data, still not really (I don't think) had confirmation whether this is correct or not

Yes, A VF Mod on here has stated that VF officially do not suport Skype calls over their network, they also stated that if they were to removed any functionality from the N900 firmware then Skype would like be one of the first things to go.

Ill see if I can find the post and link / quote it here for reference.
Message 10 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Tanthalas

Apologies for double post, for some reason it was telling me that I didn't have permission to edit my own post!

The use of VoIP services on our network has been expressly forbidden under the Terms and Conditions for Mobile Internet for many years now and that position has never changed. Whether it works or not right now is neither here nor there, the point to take from this is that we've always maintained our customers are not permitted to use Skype, and so if we choose to disable that functionality in the future, we are well within our rights to do so. Using Skype on your home Wi-Fi, while not expressly forbidden, is generating revenue for Skype at the expense of our own revenue stream - which is why you'll find Skype banned from most other mobile operators as well - apart from Three Mobile who have a special agreement with Skype that allows the both of them to benefit financially.

I can certainly understand the frustration that this news may cause, however we do have to make money at the end of the day, in order to be able to keep offering value for money - and VoIP services work directly against that. Allowing Skype to be used freely on our network at this point would be akin to Gillette making a razor that takes blades made by Wilkinson Sword

I trust this helps you to understand the issue.

Jon

eForum Team

From this thread: http://forum.vodafon..._1&#entry414985
Message 11 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
Mad-Halfling

Apologies for double post, for some reason it was telling me that I didn't have permission to edit my own post!

Yes, A VF Mod on here has stated that VF do not permit VoIP over their network, they also stated that if they were to removed any functionality from the N900 firmware then Skype would like be one of the first things to go.

Ill see if I can find the post and link / quote it here for reference.

Here you go:

From this thread: http://forum.vodafon..._1&#entry414985

The other laugh is, I was never told this, nor directed to any T&C that mentioned this - it was only luck that I happened to find it on a forum. But then other VF admins have said that it is included in your data plan, but that it will eat up a lot of data. Never seen any clear confirmation either way.
Message 12 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Digicom

Just 1 of free sims with free skype calls on :P
Message 13 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
BenJ

Hi Guys

Lots of info on this post

I can confirm Jon's comments on Vodafones stance towards Skype, according to the T and C's it is forbidden and unsupported, this doesn't mean it wont work, just that we cant offer help on this topic. By its nature of using Data to stream calls over the internet, this will eat alot of data up if it's used, so for those wishing to use VOIP services against our advice, please bare this one in mind :)

Thanks to Digicom for providing the charging links for video calling and Skype.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team
Message 14 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Tanthalas

Hi Guys

Lots of info on this post

I can confirm Jon's comments on Vodafones stance towards Skype, according to the T and C's it is forbidden and unsupported, this doesn't mean it wont work, just that we cant offer help on this topic. By its nature of using Data to stream calls over the internet, this will eat alot of data up if it's used, so for those wishing to use VOIP services against our advice, please bare this one in mind

Thanks to Digicom for providing the charging links for video calling and Skype.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Now is it actually forbidden or just unsupported as there is a massive difference between the two.

Forbidden implies that VF could take some sort of action against a user if they were found to be using it.

Unsupported implies that you can do it if you wish, but VF can not offer any help etc. if it doesn't work.
Message 15 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Sticky_Mick

Was just about to ask the same question myself. If we use Skype, would we just get no support and have to watch our data usage like hawks or would it bring down the wrath of the gods, i.e Vodafonus Mobilius to strike us down in a blinding Flash (and not 10.1 either)? :P
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.
Message 16 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
BenJ

Hi Tanis

Actually both the terms and conditions state your are forbidden from using it, and if you phone to ask for support from Vodafone we will not be able to give this support for this product.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team
Message 17 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Tanthalas

Hi Tanis

Actually both the terms and conditions state your are forbidden from using it, and if you phone to ask for support from Vodafone we will not be able to give this support for this product.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Thanks, it wasn't particularly clear when first stated. I take it that it isn't forbidden or unsupported if you pay for Mobile Broadband plus though?
Message 18 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
UberMunchkin

The best suggestion I find is to have your Skype details setup in the phone preferences and then just switch the skype status on when you are on WiFi.

As for Vodafones stance of 'Skype Bad', well you would have thought they would have considered that more fully given that the phone they are offering (the N900) has native Skype support built into it.

Message 19 of 20 (3,029 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
SynthFG

Its a fairly backwards stance TBH, especialy as there is little difference between 3G voice, data and VoIP traffic on the network other than bandwidth, and how many customers use all of there inclusive mins / texts every month

but then as a company voda are fairly backwards with there packages, they don't even offer inclusive mins video calling yet alone any packages with flexability

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 20 of 20 (3,029 Views)