Support:

Nokia

Ask a question:
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Nokia N95 8gb - Vodafone Approved Software Update

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately we would be unable to authorise this for for you.

We strongly advise against de-branding and always advise that if you decide to take this course of action, it is entirely at your own risk.

Many thanks,

LeeH
eForum Team,
Message 61 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Rank 6: Frequent Poster
Sticky_Mick

So where does this leave existing customers who still have under warranty N95 8GB handsets that are regularly crashing, losing files, resetting and switching off in mid call?

I have re-installed v20.0.0.16 firmware at least 6 times since getting the handset, only for it to revert back to the above problems. If I return the handset to Vodafone for repair, which they are unlikely to be able to do, will they replace the handset under warranty?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.
Message 62 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Rank 4: Established Poster
PeterUK

So where does this leave existing customers who still have under warranty N95 8GB handsets that are regularly crashing, losing files, resetting and switching off in mid call?

I have re-installed v20.0.0.16 firmware at least 6 times since getting the handset, only for it to revert back to the above problems. If I return the handset to Vodafone for repair, which they are unlikely to be able to do, will they replace the handset under warranty?

You will be lucky to get a replacement and if you do it will be a reconditioned or 14 day return handset. It won't be debranded and you still will not be able to get past the current firmware version. This means we're basically stuck in a catch 22 because if you want a correctly functioning phone you have to sacrifice your warranty.
Message 63 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

Unless I terminate my 13 year old contract with Vodafone and switch to a provider that allows my handset to be repaired.
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
Message 64 of 134 (17,007 Views)
PeterUK

Unless I terminate my 13 year old contract with Vodafone and switch to a provider that allows my handset to be repaired.

If you decide to go down a route to get your phone repaired and/or exchanged make sure you deal with the web team here and not with the call centre. I know they can't help us in this firmware situation but they're employed by Vodafone and not contracted out and thus take much more care in their work. The call centres won't particularly care that you're cancelling (I don't mean any offence to you) and will probably just transfer you to Saves or something.
Message 65 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

I spoke to an engineer at my local(ish) Nokia Service center only this afternoon and he confirmed that some of the problems I am encountering can only be addressed with the latest firmware release (as outlined in the 30.0.0.15 changelog). But unless Vodafone approve of the new firmware I'm stuck.
Message 66 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi Sticky Mick,

Thanks for your thoughts. Unfortunately there is really nothing more I can add to my last post on this thread really.

You are still covered by the Vodafone warranty, and we will gladly repair or replace the handset if it becomes faulty.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team
Message 67 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

I've repaired it myself 6 times, only for it to revert back to it's previous state, i.e corrupting music files hanging/crashing and resetting mid call.

The S60 O/S has a flaw in it's file system, resulting in lost files, memory corruption and operating problems. I have files and apps installed on the handset that I can't uninstall because when the handset crashes or resets it reinstates the default registry, just as a hard reset does, so all the files, themes and apps disappear from the "App Manager" which means I then have to format the mass memory, otherwise whenever I turn the handset on the installer automatically starts and tries to re-install the lost files.
My N73 was exactly the same when I first bought that. When I got that they had only just been delivered to the Vodafone shop. I persevered with it, updating the firmware as and when it became available. I still use it as a backup handset and an MP3 player.

I, like the other disgruntled N98 8GB users here, believe that if Nokia release an update to any of their handsets that corrects operating faults, it should be made available. Rather than us having to go out and splash out on the newest handset (which being an S60 will be bugged anyway) or hack our existing ones, even.
Message 68 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
MatC

Hi Sticky Mick,

I understand your point with this and I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise, as I'd probably feel the same if my phone was crashing as yours is and didn't have a software update available.

I do want to point out however that we have already forwarded this thread on to our Device Management team, on the basis that there are clearly some customers like yourself who would like to see this kind of software update made available through Vodafone.

I can't guarantee that they'll definitely make this available, as they have millions of customers wishes to consider, however I can guarantee that they're aware of you, the other customers who've contributed to this thread and your issue, so your words here haven't gone unheeded.

We are currently waiting to hear back from them, so when we've got any further information then we'll be back on this thread to let you know - thanks for your patience with us.

All the best,

MatC :)
eForum Team
Message 69 of 134 (17,007 Views)
PeterUK

I understand your point with this and I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise, as I'd probably feel the same if my phone was crashing as yours is and didn't have a software update available.

That's an annoying point though Mat, the software update is already out there and fully operational, it's just not Vodafone branded. What makes it worse is that if Vodafone provide a written letter saying it's okay to remove their software, a Nokia Service Centre will safely debrand the phone on Vodafone's behalf so that it can receive Nokia's firmware rather than Vodafone branded firmware. This would solve all the above issues without your Device Management team having to even lift a finger.
Message 70 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

Thanks for your reply Mat.

I just feel that while handsets are still under warranty the owners should be entitled to firmware updates released by Nokia within that time.
Mine is still within the Vodafone warranty and there's still at least 15 months of the Nokia warranty to go.
Message 71 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

Are there any updates on this at all yet, please.

Thanks.
Message 72 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Rank 7: Helper I
flagpole

for my 2 penith

vodafone had the exclusive on this phone for a long time and as such shifted a tonne of them. so they are jerking off a lot of people, including me.

they advertise a nokia N95-2 but that isn't what you get, you get one slightly crippled. in essence i've paid vodafone nearly £400 for my handset and the very least they can do, if they insist on crippling it in the first place is continue to support it.

failing that (and i notice they are still selling it,) the least they can do is have the stones to instruct nokia to associate the unbranded firmware with the product code 0557135 thus allowing those of us who wish to to get the latest firmware and keep the warranty. the very fact that there is a update beyond 20.0.0.16 is a tacit admission that 20.0.0.16 is faulty or deficient.

so those of us who bought one are now left with two choices, put up with a device that nokia acknowledge to be faulty or void our warranties.

if i could be bothered i'm pretty confident that i could argue that this was............ actually if i say much more the post will be deleted so i'd rather leave it as it is.
Message 73 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Tech Team
James

Hi Guys,

At the moment we are still awaiting the official release of this as it is currently in testing at the moment, as far as it goes we will update you as soon as we have more information.

With reference removing the branded software, by doing this it will void your Vodafone warranty and this will mean any repairs will need to be dealt with by nokia directly, also by doing this you will also run the risk of not being able to use any of Vodafone live services such as find and go or mobile T.V.

James
eForum Team

I’m part of the Vodafone Tech Team and here to help. As this is a public forum, we can only answer non account specific queries. Please note, we’re unable to reply to private messages.

If you see a helpful post, please click the 'Thanks' button to let the author know. If a post solves your query, please click the ‘This is the Answer?’ button. This helps others find helpful answers in the community too.

Message 74 of 134 (17,007 Views)
flagpole

Hi Guys,

to clarify this vod do plan to release v 31.0.015 under product code 0557135?

i had assumed that they'd given up. would it be that now this looks like the final stable release they are willing to do it? it's been out under 0549487 for 6 months!!!
Message 75 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

Thanks James.
Although I have no plans to debrand my handset as yet, at least not until I'm sure what's happening.
My handset did crash and lock up on me again on Wednesday afternoon while I was trying to call for an ambulance for an elderly lady that had fallen whilst getting off the bus. Someone else had to use their phone while I pulled the battery and restarted it. Not an ideal time for it to happen.
Message 76 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

to clarify this vod do plan to release v 31.0.015 under product code 0557135?

i had assumed that they'd given up. would it be that now this looks like the final stable release they are willing to do it? it's been out under 0549487 for 6 months!!!

I've been reading some posts on the Nokia Support Forums about some people finding the Accelerometer disabled after updating to 31.0.015.
Not sure if that's been the hold up.
Message 77 of 134 (17,007 Views)
flagpole

Thanks James.
Although I have no plans to debrand my handset as yet, at least not until I'm sure what's happening.
My handset did crash and lock up on me again on Wednesday afternoon while I was trying to call for an ambulance for an elderly lady that had fallen whilst getting off the bus. Someone else had to use their phone while I pulled the battery and restarted it. Not an ideal time for it to happen.

TBH if you're running 20.0.0.16 it has problems with the music player and things like that, but it is not considered to be unstable in terms of the actual phone app.

i'm not qualified to say it but, whatever is wrong with your hardware or your config i think it's quite likely to permeate the upgrade. or at least as likely as it is to survive the three keys reset.
Message 78 of 134 (17,007 Views)
Sticky_Mick

I know the music player was running in the background, I'd just been listening to it, and it has reset itself a few times when the music player was running. Something else I've noticed as well is that if you have an animated screensaver kick in during playback it distorts the sound, rather like a hi-fi cassette deck that's got a faulty drive belt.
Message 79 of 134 (17,007 Views)
flagpole

I know the music player was running in the background, I'd just been listening to it, and it has reset itself a few times when the music player was running. Something else I've noticed as well is that if you have an animated screensaver kick in during playback it distorts the sound, rather like a hi-fi cassette deck that's got a faulty drive belt.

i don't really have time to work through this at the moment, but i think there might be a lot we can do to fix it.

i'm relatively new to this forum and i'm not sure exactly the extent of the advice i'm allowed to give.

but for a start if you have identified the music player as being something that's running when you have trouble then you might like to continue the diagnostic by looking at what other programs are running using say activefile.

if the music player is the problem the fix might be as simple as deleting the music and refreshing the firmware, allowing neither one nor the other to out survive.

i'll read through the thread tomorrow, se what's been tried.

n
Message 80 of 134 (17,007 Views)