Support:

Nokia

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
Munkerious

Nokia N96 Gps Not Working

Hi

I recently (April 09) bought a Nokia N96 and I installed the ‘sports tracker’ application. After running with it (in a packed bag) the GPS has stopped functioning. I have had 2 readings from the application and after the 3rd time the GPS cut out and no longer works. It is not only not working in ‘sports tracker’ but now every application including ‘Google maps’ and Nokia maps plus the navigation tool.

I have checked all the settings and they appear to be correct. I have also uninstalled the ‘sports tracker’ application, with no luck in fixing the issue. Is this a known weak spot of the Nokia N96 and you should not use this phone as a running tool or even run with it? Any suggestions on a fix or if this is a send to manufacture issue, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Message 1 of 3 (2,387 Views)
Rank 2: First Poster
corbin1747

time the GPS cut out and no longer works. It is not only not working in ‘sports tracker’ but now every application including ‘Google maps’ and Nokia maps plus the navigation tool.

I have checked all the settings and they appear to be correct. I have also uninstalled the ‘sports tracker’ application, with no luck in fixing the issue. Is this a known weak spot of the Nokia N96 and you should not use this phone as a running tool or even run with it? Any suggestions on a fix or if this is a send to manufacture issue, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Do you have the aGPS or are you using normal GPS?
with normal GPS it takes donkeys years to get a signal.
But at the same time i've found that i on;y get a signal when i am standing still... once i get it THEN i can use the sports tracker. I might help as well to make sure to get the update for sports tacker. the first one i downloaded via the Downloads icon on the phone was a bit iffy and even with the aGPS on took a while to get a lock on.
Message 2 of 3 (2,387 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Jon_V

Hi Munkerious,

I think the issue here may be with where you are storing the handset. GPS ideally requires a clear line-of-sight with the sky in order to function properly. If it is being placed away inside a packed bag, this will degrade the signal significantly. Placing it in a pocket or on a belt clip of some kind will yeild much better results.

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 3 of 3 (2,387 Views)