You are here:
Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest

Nokia Premicell

Dear All,

We've just moved to voda from t-mobile so we have new sims. We also have 2 Nokia Premicell TFK-2 units. When I've put the voda sims into them, the premicell status LEDs tell me to insert sim, as if they do not recognise the sims at all. The premicells are not sim locked, we've had orange, t-mobile and O2 sims in them which all worked OK.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to make the voda sims work with these old but 100% working premicell units? Oh, the sims work in any handset we have, just not the premicells. Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks for looking!
Message 1 of 11 (2,854 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Nokia Premicell

Hi debaser_uk,

Have the new SIM cards been activated yet? I would recommend trying them in an unlocked or Vodafone UK branded handset, and seeing if you can at least connected to the network this way. This will tell us which side of things we need to investigate further :)

Jon

eForum Team
Want to give me some feedback? click here
Message 2 of 11 (2,854 Views)

Nokia Premicell

Hi,

Thanks for the response - the SIMs are fine, I have tested them in a standard Nokia handset, I can make and receive calls. I have no idea why they don't work in the premicell (well, maybe I can guess).

If you have any ideas I'd be most grateful.

Cheers again,

Neil.
Message 3 of 11 (2,854 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Nokia Premicell

Hi Neil,

I've just had a look at the coverage according to the post code you have on your profile - is this where you're using the Premicell? The coverage in that area suggests very good 2G coverage which I believe your Premicell operates on. You also have good outdoor 3G coverage in that area.

Do you have a regular Vodafone phone SIM card to try in the Premicell? This will help us deduce whether an account setting could be preventing the SIM from making voice calls. Also, I've had a look at the specification of the device on the Nokia website, am I right in saying you get PC software with them? If so let me know, it would really help us if you know what the current settings are set to at the moment.

Keep me posted, I'll do my best to get these up and running for you!

Adam
eForum Team.
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 4 of 11 (2,854 Views)

Nokia Premicell

Hi,

Once again, thanks for responding. I don't have any regular vodafone SIMs to try, what exactly is a regular SIM anyway? All the SIMs we have were delivered en-masse about 2 weeks ago. My personal O2 SIM works fine in the premicell by the way. Also, the premicells are 2G, they are quite old and I believe Orange originally installed them here. There is some software for PC connection, but that is to use the premicell as a modem! To configure the premicells I think a specific telephone terminal type thing is needed along with a specific type of cable.

Does this help any? I'm wondering if the network is stopping the SIMs working in the premicells?

Hope you can continue to aid me in my quest.

Cheers,

Neil.
Message 5 of 11 (2,854 Views)
Moderator (Retired)

Nokia Premicell

Hi debaser, of course we will try and aid you as much as we can on your quest :)

regarding the sim cards themselves they are fine as they are working perfectly in the handsets. What could be the issue is that sometimes we block the imei numbers of the equipment being used if it's not been approved for use on the Vodafone network.

If I could just ask you what you want to achieve from using the premicels then we could have a look at other suggestions for you.
To be honest there's probably an alternative product that would do the job.

Look forward to hearing from you
Katrina_Vodafone
eForum team
Want to give me some feedback? Yes
Message 6 of 11 (2,854 Views)

Nokia Premicell

Hi,

Again thanks for the response - I'm really grateful! to sum up this is what we are up to:-

If anybody in our office uses their deskphone to call a mobile number, it's routed through the premicell. We don't do anything 'dodgy' with them but this is where most of our airtime is used up, and we have a 2000 minute a month plan (through Yes Telecom). So, it makes sense for us to use up these 2000 minutes like this. I guess originally BT charged ridiculuous sums of money to call mobiles which is why we went this route. We certainly don't let 3rd parties use the premicells, they are strictly for our own use. We have an employment agency and most (all) of our workforce only have mobiles so when we contact them we are always dialling mobile numbers.

Does this make sense to you? Does it also sound acceptable to you?

Cheers,

Neil.
Message 7 of 11 (2,854 Views)
Tech Team

Nokia Premicell

Hi debaser_uk,

Thanks for clarifying that for us!

In all honesty, we don’t know why the SIM’s are not working in the Premicells. As the SIMs work fine in a normal handset, there clearly isn’t anything worng with the SIM or network.

I would say the most probable explanation for this is that the IMEI has been blocked.

We do have a great service called Vodafone One Net that you may find extremely beneficial to your business. It integrates fixed and mobile voice so people can be reached on one number, whether they're in or out of the office and charges are the same rate for fixed and mobile calls! :D Take a look for more information.

There isn’t anything we can do regarding the Premicell compatibility, however I feel that Vodafone One Net is a great alternative! :)

All the best,

Jenny
eForum Team

Message 8 of 11 (2,854 Views)

Nokia Premicell

Hi,

Thanks for the information - but why is the IMEI blocked? Other networks aren't blocking it, for example T and O2 sims work OK in the units. Does this mean that we can't use the Premicells with the Vodafone network?

If the answer is no, it's very disappointing ... is there any way to get the IMEI unblocked?

Hope you can answer these questions and thanks for all your previous posts on my question.

Cheers,

Neil.
Message 9 of 11 (2,854 Views)
Tech Team

Nokia Premicell

Hi debaser_uk

I'm sorry to hear that this is still a problem for you. The best thing I can advise here is for you to contact Yes telecom to see if there is anything they can do for you.

They should also be able to check oto see if the IMEI is blocked or not for you.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions just give us a shout

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Message 10 of 11 (2,854 Views)

Nokia Premicell

Hi,

Thanks for the continued support. I will contact Yes and hopefully get this resolved. I'll let you know the result!!

Cheers for now,

Neil.
Message 11 of 11 (2,854 Views)