Support:

Nokia

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
laurenejsmith

Re: When will Vodafone be rolling out the Lumia 920?

This is a complete disappointment. Vodafone must provide access to the Lumia 920.

A network the siz of Vodafone could get a deal with Nokia if it chose to.

Basing your current selection on previous customer requests is stupid. Windows 8 is brand new. I had no interest in Windows 7 or 7.8 but I will buy a Windows 8 phone. I want a phone which has the same OS as my PC and laptop so I don't want an iphone or Android.

You have no idea what I want based on my previous choices.

I now have to decide to pay a large amount of money (and wait) for the Sim Free version (and reduce the contract value I have with Vodafone) or give up my 12 year releationship with Vodafone and go with EE. Either way Vodafone loses income.

Dumb decisoin

Message 21 of 91 (7,656 Views)
Rank 32: Scholar I
SynthFG

Not voda's decision

EE payed a premium to gain network exclusivity on the phone, 

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 22 of 91 (7,496 Views)
Rank 5: Regular Poster
Martincrosbie

It was Voda's descision to lose to EE - they could have bid for exclusivity too. They simply didn't want our custom.

The offering from Vodafone Germany pours salt on the wounds- making all their excuses just excuses. They simply don't value their customers. My last handset purchase was in Oct 2010 (12 month contract) they lost my Oct 2011 handset purchase, and now my Oct 2012 purchase. Does that really mean so little?

If Voda were to go out and purchase a 920 SIM Free, add 10% and split that by 12, add in in my contract tarrif, I'd probably pay it. Do they not want my money?

Message 23 of 91 (7,459 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
jeffkinn

No Voda could not have paid to get that exclusivity. It was Orange's merger with T-Mobile that gave them the spare capacity to turn into a 4G network. It wasn't a question of money.

The 4G network is all hype and no substance - it is on the wrong frequency that will ot penetrate buildings. It is also very expensive on EE tariffs.

I have no idea why they are not supporting Nokia WP8 handsets.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 24 of 91 (7,455 Views)
Martincrosbie

The merger may have given them the spare cash to buy an exclusive, but otherwise any operator or shop could have bought exclusivity, Voda didn't, and will lose custom because of it.

The merger did give them a fast track to 4G and makes the exclusive deal worth EE bidding heavily for from their point of view, but only highlights Vodas lack of 4G, and hence overall competition, but this is off topic here. Vodafone could have grabbed this handset and more, 4G network or not, and not only have held the advantage, but significantly disadvantaged EE by doing so. this is business strategy, and they need to understand how angry their customers are at their failure to deliver.

Message 25 of 91 (7,448 Views)
Rank 45: Oracle IV
jeffkinn

It was spare network capacity and not cash that was the factor at play. But I agree with the disappointment in not supporting the Lumia range. I haven't played with WP8 but it is getting good reviews.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Message 26 of 91 (7,445 Views)
sammerz

Hi, I totally agree, crazy decision to grant exclusivity! 

Apparently it is only a 3 month exclusive deal, so Vodafone should be getting the 920 early next year. 

4G is a total joke, the plans are so expensive and data allowance tiny! 

I am thinking about staying with Vodafone and upgrading to an iPhone5, selling it and then buying a Nokia 920 Simm Free...Good idea?

Message 27 of 91 (7,359 Views)
Yao
Rank 2: First Poster
Yao

This is also a good source for information.

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-and-ee-clarify-nokia-lumia-920820-availability-in-uk

If you can wait, then maybe it's worthwhile letting others go through any teething issues / bugs and buying one later on in the hope that once they've reviewed the exclusivity they will open it up to other networks.

Otherwise, getting a sim-free one (if possible) will be your only option.  I'm bored of Android now (transferring this to my Nexus 7) and may just get an iPhone 5, and sell it if a decent Nokia WP8 becomes available.  I'm also bored of HTC.

Yao

Message 28 of 91 (7,235 Views)
Martincrosbie

Thanks Sammerz and Yao. Why couldn't Vodafone tell us that? If they're being quiet in the hope that we'll buy some other POS from them in the meantime, then that's dumb - im not going to buy an 820 instead, when I've already decided. This is not some out of the blue announcement, the phone has been announced for months, and had a remarkably stable release schedule. If they aren't aware of what phones they will be offering in the next 3 months, then what are they planning? For all the posts here of people wanting this handset, it would be extremely easy for them to say "sorry we were outbid for exclusivity, but we'll have it in January, would you like to preorder one?"

Positive and believable as the above rumours are, I want it in writing from the horses mouth. Come on Vodafone take my money!

Message 29 of 91 (7,093 Views)
laurenejsmith

Is it possible to  buy this "sim free" and then use an unlock code provider to unlock it properly so it can be used on Vodafone ? Anyone tried this ?

Message 30 of 91 (7,029 Views)
halobolola

I tried to contact orange, but they were too busy. EE has had a painfully bad launch so they are a bit busy :smileylol:

Message 31 of 91 (6,909 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
infinidim

As they can't offer the 920 why are they not offering the 820. To me it looks a nicer phone and has the ability to put extra storage in it.

I find it really sad that Vodafone can't offer phoes like the 920. They are the largest mobile supplier so why not offer these phones.

Infinidim

Infinidim
Message 32 of 91 (6,797 Views)
SynthFG

laurenejsmith wrote:

Is it possible to  buy this "sim free" and then use an unlock code provider to unlock it properly so it can be used on Vodafone ? Anyone tried this ?

If you buy it sim free then you don't need an unlock code to use it with a voda sim

There are also a few independant retailers who source handset and airtime separatly who can offer the 920 on voda either as a new contract or as an upgrade 

Message 33 of 91 (6,716 Views)
freetail

This whole this is farcical. Tried buying one on Phones 4U but that turned out to be locked to the EE networks who, by the way, don't even have any devices in stock either (2 week waiting period) and aren't promoting it particularly aggressively in store! I don't care if it's not running on 4G but I'm inclined to stay with Vodafone due to their Eurotraveller deal - that's really the MAIN reason and if they don't support the Nokia 920 soon, then I'll jump ship.

I was infuriated when I went into the Vodafone Store Maidenhead at the weekend. There's one particular individual in there who winds me up every time I go in. I asked this post's very question and he immediately said they weren't going to bother because the Nokia 800 was so rubbish they stopped taking Nokia on Windows Phone devices and this wasn't likely to change. Excuse me??? I am a knowledgeable (geeky) business customer who told the sales assistant the phone he wants to buy from Vodafone. I don't expect my opinion and wishes to be dismissed so discourteously and out of hand. Sooo rude and the guy's arogance is on display every single time I go in. I watch him 'advising' customers and he just pushes them to Android the whole time. Seriously, the guy should be sacked - I nearly quit Vodafone on a point of principal because of this one individual.

I spoke to the manager however, and she's keen as mustard to get Windows Phone 8 devices in store, as are some of the other assistants. The manager was also wishing they could start to sell the Surface Tablet alongside the Nokia 920.

So VODAFONE, when are you going to sort this out and give your customers what they're demanding. The phone is selling like hot cakes (where it's available) and is touted to be a true Galaxy SIII alternative (certainly already better than the iPhone). Please, to keep your customers, contact Nokia and see what can be done. But most importantly, please update your customers on when we can expect this.

Message 34 of 91 (6,443 Views)
Martincrosbie

Clove started selling the white one (shame) yesterday, SIM free, unlocked for £520. They've sold out already.

Still don't want the business?

Message 35 of 91 (6,384 Views)
SynthFG

digital phone dot co dot uk look like they will be doing the 920 as an upgrade / new contract option on voda as soon as they get stock

Message 36 of 91 (6,316 Views)
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Lee

Hi there freetail,

Thanks for your post.

I'm afraid we can't speculate on new releases.

More information on WP8 devices can be found here.

Cheers,

LeeH

Message 37 of 91 (6,305 Views)
Martincrosbie

You've missed the point entirely. Did you even read the posts?

We are not asking you to speculate, we are asking you to CONFIRM what your plans are. After your competitors are selling these devices is not the time for you to be speculating on its release. This device should be firmly fixed in your schedule, and you should be telling your customers exactly when you will sell it.

Your answer sounds like you are not getting the device ever, but don't have the courage to actually say that. That stinks, and is a disgusting way to treat your customers. We are not talking about maybe, we are not talking about some rumoured device that may or may not hit the shelves in a years time, we are talking about a real, released device, which has been on the roadmap for 6 months now. If you don't KNOW your plans for it now, then you never will.

Message 38 of 91 (6,301 Views)
DazMorland62

Nokia Lumia 920???

Posted from Facebook
Hi, I don't want to sound like a broken record but are Voda 'likely' to stock the Lumia 920? I have read various forums and chinese whispers and it sounds like EE have the exclusivity for the next 3 months. After that will Voda stock it? P.s. your answer will depend on whether I leave Voda after 12 years of good business, so please be as accurate as you can :smileyhappy:
Message 39 of 91 (6,279 Views)
Rank 3: Occasional Poster
infinidim

[ Edited ]

Martincrosbie wrote:

You've missed the point entirely. Did you even read the posts?

We are not asking you to speculate, we are asking you to CONFIRM what your plans are. After your competitors are selling these devices is not the time for you to be speculating on its release. This device should be firmly fixed in your schedule, and you should be telling your customers exactly when you will sell it.

Your answer sounds like you are not getting the device ever, but don't have the courage to actually say that. That stinks, and is a disgusting way to treat your customers. We are not talking about maybe, we are not talking about some rumoured device that may or may not hit the shelves in a years time, we are talking about a real, released device, which has been on the roadmap for 6 months now. If you don't KNOW your plans for it now, then you never will.

I completely agree with you.

It's nearly December now, Vodafone have only said that it will be sometime January - why not a specific date?

They will miss out with the Christmas purchases for WP8 phone...Who runs there marketing department that doesn't want to have premier phones onsale for Christmas!!??

Forum people please get us some REAL information rather than the fluff that we are currently getting please and you might keep some more customers because currently there are a number of us thinking about leaving you because you can't supply the phone we want!!!!

Infinidim
Message 40 of 91 (5,951 Views)