Support:

Nokia

Ask a question:
Rank 1: Guest
chadjizz

keep getting sent "file.ext"

hello,

i am on contract with vodafone and have a sony ericson satio! BUT i have 2 nokia's, both brought on vodafone pay as you go to put my contract sim in.

a year ago i brought a nokia 6700 classic. i put my contract sim in it from my satio. everything works fine but every half/an hour i get sent a message "file.ext". it comes up on the screen as file received, you open it and it says "file not supported". it saves in my "received files" on the memory card of the phone.

the same is now happening on my new x3 - 02  that i got yesterday.

the file is not sent from a number. internet is off (have not even used internet on the x3 yet) and bluetooth is off.

i tried my girlfriends vodafone sim in the phone and her's works fine in both phones........

so yesterday i asked vodafone to issue me with a new sim......

got it today, activatived, but still i get sent this "received file" called "file.ext".

and they keep comming, if you dont delete them they names them selfs "file001.ext" "file002.ext" etc.

this seems to be a common thing if you search google, but no one has ever got to the bottom of it......

any help would be good,

thanks.

chad

Message 1 of 10 (2,755 Views)
chadjizz

Re: keep getting sent "file.ext"

and if i put my sim back into my satio everything works fine again......!

Message 2 of 10 (2,752 Views)
Rank 33: Scholar II
SynthFG

At a guess it's voda hitting you up with service messages

these are designed so that when you put your sim into a new phone, Voda detects the change in IMEI and sends you your settings for internet and MMS in a couple of service messages which should install to the phone when you open them,

However it sounds like your getting the wrong ones or courupted versions

Note I do not work for voda, Nor now am I a customer
My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own
Message 3 of 10 (2,749 Views)
chadjizz

that could make sense.

i have gone to the support section on the vodafone site and clicked on the x3 02 and had the settings sent to me but even then it says "phone received invalid settings. settings discarded"

when i call vodafone they dont have a clue in the help center.....they forward me to the pay as you go and then send me back to pay monthly....!

Message 4 of 10 (2,746 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
hooker1uk

did your satio have the My191 app on it? 

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk (twitter and Molome)

Current devices: Sony Xperia Miro*, Vodafone Smart Mini, Nokia 3510i, Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab iii Kids, iPad2, Huawei Ascend g300, Alcatel OT903 Rooted*

*awaiting minor repairs
Message 5 of 10 (2,731 Views)
chadjizz

hooker1uk, just checked it and yer it did.......never used it tho.....!?!

Message 6 of 10 (2,728 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Vampfy

[ Edited ]

I see where you're going with this...

Call Vodafone Customer Services and ask them to remove the my191 service from you account. If Hooker1uk is right, that should stop the files

Edit: Vodafone's My191 is a network pushed app which requires your phone to be constantly in contact with the Vodafone servers (not 100% on the service, but I believe it's a call intercept so that most basic queries can be solved without contacting the company - balances, bills etc). If your Vodafone subscription (mobile number) has my191 service on it (check your bills, you'll see) then Hooker1uk is more than likely 100% correct in suggesting that this is what these files relate to, and getting it removed from customer services would completely stop this if that's the case. 

Message 7 of 10 (2,726 Views)
chadjizz

i called and asked to take the my191 off.

its deffinently made them less fequent but i still occurring. (from 15 to 20 times a day down to 3 or 4 times.......)

crazy.

i forgot to mention in the last year i have also used a samsung monte for a few months and never got this problem.......

thanks for all the help

Message 8 of 10 (2,709 Views)
Rank 23: Tutor II
Vampfy

You could also try removing the app from your satio with your Vodafone sim in it
Message 9 of 10 (2,707 Views)
Rank 13: Guide II
hooker1uk

To remove go to application manager

look for "selfservice" uninstall that, and the app will go. and once the phone realises it's not on there they'll stop (you may need to use the satio for a few days though

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk (twitter and Molome)

Current devices: Sony Xperia Miro*, Vodafone Smart Mini, Nokia 3510i, Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy Tab iii Kids, iPad2, Huawei Ascend g300, Alcatel OT903 Rooted*

*awaiting minor repairs
Message 10 of 10 (2,702 Views)