Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

updates and downloads

steveessom
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

have just started using a nokia lumina 635 and within 6 days exhausted my contracted download allowance because of updates etc. have now turned them all off!

wondered if updates and downloads do not count  towards my allowance if

1 use the wifi to my own home hub

or

2 is there a way of updating etc by using a usb connection to my laptop

any answers or other suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

When you first get a new handset, it is always advisable to connect it to WiFi during the initial set up as the phone will spend a while downloading all sorts of updates to bring everything to the current version.  Any data that you use over WiFi will not use up your Vodafone data allowance but will use up your broadband allowance.

How much data does your plan come with?  If you want to make sure that you don't use up your data allowance, simply turn mobile data off.  From the Start screen go to All settings > mobile and SIM > Data connection and switch it off. 

PWIAC

thanks i am new to this type of mobile and although i requested the internet roaming feature be turned off by the salesman when bought it... obviously something went wrong!!! my limit is 250mb and this soon dissappeared. i have done what you suggested and hopefully this will resolve the problem

drey_p
Data roaming is the ability to use data when you are roaming ie using another network abroad. If you asked this to be turned off, it won't affect your data usage whilst in the UK as you're not roaming.

250MB is not really a huge amount with a modern smartphone... You can use that up pretty quickly.

Hopefully this will sort out your issue, but if you need any further help, you know where to come.

PWIAC

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

250mb is indeed not a great deal.  However, if this is a new contract, did it not come with a 3 month unlimited data test drive?  This won't show on your account (afaik), but may mean that you haven't actually used up your allowance.

I have 250mb and it's usually enough (I don't use the phone away from home every day), though I sometimes get quite close to my allowance.  If I did go over, it would cost me £6 maybe once or twice a year (for another 250mb), which is still cheaper than 12 months of 500mb.   To keep within this limit I:

Only do large downloads over wifi

Only update apps over wifi unless it's urgent

Never do system updates on mobile data (I've just done a small Android one and it was 260mb on its own)

As drey_p says, wifi only uses your broadband allowance.   If you want to conserve that, find a cafe  :smileywink:, though be prepared for public nodes to be quite slow.

thanks for comments. hopefully i have sorted it out now. have contacted vodfone who have confirrmed unlimited downloads period - would have been nice to have been informed of this at time of purchase!

Windows Phone has a tick box in the updates section. Untick this and it will only download updates for the operating system when connected to WiFi (I thought it was unticked by default ?)

Also Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 allows you to only download updates for apps when connected to WiFi , but you may not have this update yet.