cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

A bit of nostalgia.. phones you're still fond of from years gone by?

redpages
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Considering they've now got a social discussion area on the forum figured I might try and start a thread :Smiling:

What old phones do you still have a soft spot for even if you wouldn't be seen dead carrying them down the street anymore?

Sharp GX 25 is still a favourite of mine from late 2004 back when Vodafone still carried Sharp as a manufacturer. There was also a red limited addition Ferarri version. Really sturdy and reliable phone but you had to live with just 3MB internal memory at the time - almost unheard of now. There were lots of shoddy flip phones on the market back then where the connectors weren't secure and the screen would often die a death and lose contact with the battery and keypad - this one never failed

Next up the Sony Ericsson W900i walkman phone. I remember having the white version of this towards the end of 2005, mainly because of the huge amount of internal memory it carried at the time - just short of 500MB with a card slot taking it up to 4GB. Certainly the top Ericsson walkman phone at one point and a bit different with the 'swivel' flip screen. Had Mobile TV as a subscription on my contract with this one (around the time of the big 3G push) although looking back it never really did take off.

Any other mobile memories out there?

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

41 REPLIES 41

NeoBlade
13: Advanced Member

Meh, I wrote a reply then tried to add an image then it crashed Chrome -_- 

I second the Nokia N95 as a I loved that phone. I had it first then two of my sisters and Dad followed suit :Smiley_with_tongue_out: For me though it was my first real smartphone... Paid over £100 on top of the £45/m contract just for this! I present to you...

The Sony Ericsson P800! Was certainly a brick and a damn expensive one at that. I was one of the first in the UK to get hold of this phone and it was good fun playing with the flexible Symbian at the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
P800! I always wanted that phone. The closest I got was a P990i which I still use to this day, as a remote for my PC (using Salling Clicker).

I loved the P990, I took the keypad straight off as soon as I got it, people used to get so confused that I had a full QWERTY keyboard on the front of a Sony Ericsson phone :Smiling:

A couple that stick in the memory. The Philips Savvy and the Ericsson T28s, both for different reasons.

The Savvy was horrible really, but it had a big plus attached to it. It was on the old BT Cellnet pay as you go, and chipped, so when you restarted it, it topped itself back up. Oh for one of those now.

savvy.jpg

The Ericsson was a little snazzy looking phone in its time, and very compact. To be honest though, it was terrible at keeping a signal.

SD.EricssonT28.A02.jpg

I really loved the P800 ^_^ It only ever had 1 firmware update in its life which never fixed anything :Smiley_with_tongue_out: It would crash often as I would use its handwriting recognition software to write texts really quickly, the camera wasn't fantastic, the left tab that kept the keyboard off the screen broke but all of that didn't matter to me. At the time it was the most powerful phone around and I loved messing around with the apps on it. Never got the P900 after it as I thought I'd try to go back to a slimmer "dumb" phone... Didn't like it so jumped right back to the smartphone arena!

Talking of Ericsson's my first real mobile phone (after the brick that was the old BT mobiles) was the Ericsson T39. Was great having it around and having custom MIDI ringtones for it. Was such a slim phone too for its time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S3

If I have helped you in any way then please click on the star on the left ^_^ Thank you!

The N95 was an amazing peice of kit and I loved mine until i ran it over with a 4x4 and it shattered into around a 100 peices, what made me giggle tho was they still attempeted to fix it :smileyvery-happy:

However the phone I always wanted when at school was the 7110/8110, this was mostly inspired by a certain film :Smiling: however the cost was well above my pocket money at the time!

Would anyone like to have a guess at what film this was???

Matt

I was pretty keen on that P800 too. Spent hours in the Voda shop playing with the dummy model:smileytongue:

I think the staff became a little nervous because after about an hour and a half the shopping centre security guards were mooching about outside:smileytongue:

Funnily enough, after using the N900 for over 6 months, whenever I pick up my N95 now I start banging the screen like a demented chimp wondering why it's suddenly become so unresponsive, then I realise what the trouble is.:smileytongue:

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.

Several stick out as fantastic...

Sony Erricson T610

Sony W810i

Siemens M65...best phone I've ever owned

the phone i miss and can now finally buy another one, is the nokia 2110 

an utterly amazing device, with the vibrating battery :Smiling: 

I also have a Maxxon MN1 and MN2, a Sony ericsson v630i (modded to k610i) a sharp gx15 and a couple 

my second most loved is my samsung e720 flip. needs a new battery, keypad and housing but works a treat. and the video sizes come out crystal clear. 

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

Ohhhhh the memories.

I love the old phones - dont make em like the used to

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

remember the days when a battery would last all week?

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK.