cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Annoying Marketing Company - Scam Maybe?

Leeaich
1: Seeker

Hi,

Just received a call from a company in Rotherham, saying they were Vodafone UK.  They said that as a loyal customer (I've only been with Vodafone for a year!) and the fact I pay my bills on time (they go out DD!) they were going to "reward me".

They then asked about my broadband requirements and TWICE I had to tell them that I wasn't looking to change provider - The third time I put it to them bluntly and said "You're not looking to reward me at all.  You just want to sell me broadband" - to which the chirpy chap said "Well, it'd be at a discount, so it's sort of a reward" - bye bye then!

At best I would say this is a Vodafone partner, but as I specifically asked them if they were, to which they said they WERE Vodafone, I'm suspecting a scam.

The number was 01709 765330.  Vodafone - please either investigate the problem; or if they are a legit partner - I'd suggest you cut-links with them soon!  Very annoying and at worse - fraudulant!

I did just phone 191 and ask for the Fraud Department, but was cut-off.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AnnS
17: Community Champion

@Leeaich

Please see below for the number Vodafone use to call.

Vodafone Support - Is it Vodafone Calling?

This will be the Outsources Sales Team who will be calling on behalf of Vodafone.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

63johnw

Hi, that is one of the numbers vodafone use.

http://support.vodafone.co.uk/Calls-texts-and-voicemail/Calls-from-Vodafone/38912113/Is-it-Vodafone-...

You can opt out of such calls by contacting CS, livechat or updating your account settings.

AnnS

@Leeaich

Please see below for the number Vodafone use to call.

Vodafone Support - Is it Vodafone Calling?

This will be the Outsources Sales Team who will be calling on behalf of Vodafone.

Leeaich
1: Seeker

Hi again,

Thanks for the information and the quick response.

In which case, I would recommend a re-training program for the Vodafone marketing staff and soon!  The technique used is trying to lull the customer into thinking they are being rewarded something, when in fact all these people are trying to do is sell me broadband and change landline provider.  I wasn't born yesterday!

I've just Googled the telephone number.  Vodafone should too, where they will immediately see that I'm not the only person with this opinion.

Thanks again.

froggerty
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

In getting these 'partner' cold calls requesting that you don't want them by calling Vodafone will not stop them, this has to be done at the time you take out a new contract and tick the box at the end of the small print to refuse marketing calls when renewing in-store or verbally telling the operative if renewing online, in the mean time you'll either have to grin and ignore these calls or send the numbers to your blocked number list. These third party marketing Companies buy your details from your provider for 80p a time.