Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cracked Screen on Samsung J3

SarahK1971
1: Seeker

I purchased a Samsung J3 from Vodafone for my son (Pay as you go) for Christmas of which recently he had taken off him from another boy whom threw it to the ground when he tried to get it back of which it has now several cracks on the screen.  The phone works but looks unsightly and wondered if this is able to be fixed or if I have to purchase a completly new phone.

3 REPLIES 3

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi, it should be fixable with a new screen but can be expensive, vodafone do have repair centres that can send the phone off for you and give you an estimate before any work takes place.

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/Lost-stolen-and-damaged/Repairs/

BandOfBrothers

Hi @SarahK1971

Personally I'd check out where your most local Samsung Service locations are. 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/

Some Carphone Warehouse stores also have authorised repair centres in them for Samsung phones. 

Also look at home insurance or some Bank Accounts provide cover as a perk of the account but do check excess fees and T&C. 

At the end of the day when your aware of the cost then you can see if that outweighs the cost of the phone. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

As a rough rule of thumb, a replacement screen costs around £100-£150.   This is because you the digitiser (the bit that reacts to touch) is bonded to it.  There's also a fair amount of labour involved - phones are designed to be compact rather then easily disassembled.

You can get screens for quite a lot less and there are videos which will take you through the process.  There are also websites that will sell you the necessary tools.   I haven't done it, and it involves a degree of confidence and steady hands.   If it fails, all you've lost is the cost of the new screen.

Edited to add: When I say "all you've lost", I'm assuming the phone isn't usable.  If it is, you may have lost that as well and have to shell out for a replacement!