Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Faster WiFi could light up your life

drey_p
16: Advanced member

With the LED bulbs becoming more and more common in the home, a new technology is evolving which could bring you even faster WiFi speeds in your home using light instead of radio waves

Take a look this article on BBC:

Li-fi 100 times faster than wi-fi

1 Gbps is just amazingly fast and should help to reduce the slow down that sometimes happens with lots of devices connected over WiFi.

What I also found quite interesting is the speed your TV remote control works at - I hadn't even thought about it, instead, taking it for granted that it just works everytime I press the button.

PWIAC

6 REPLIES 6

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

That sounds interesting should if come to fruition and a wide audience.

When I was in Singapore a few months ago I got a speed of 1Gbps and commented to friends I was visiting how fast it was, but to them this was a normal speed and when I told them my home speed was 160Mbps they thought I was living in the dark ages.

drey_p

It's fantastic how far ahead Asia tends to be when it comes to tech, and how far behind we are... and the way it takes ages to get anything done!

PWIAC

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Yesterday I was chatting to a couple who live in a village near Padstow in Cornwall. They have been waiting for two years for BT to intall fibre into their home even though it's in their village. They have an ADSL connection which gives them 0.5mps in each direction. Also there is no mobile signal at all.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

kids

@drey_p wrote:

It's fantastic how far ahead Asia tends to be when it comes to tech, and how far behind we are... and the way it takes ages to get anything done!

I agree.

Even in Thailand which is still rated by the UN as a third world country I can get 50GB of 4G data for my i iPad for 715Baht (£13.50) a month without any FUP or speed restrictions.

For my iPhone I get unlimited minutes of inland calls, unlimited texts and 50GB of 4G data for 742Baht (£14) a month. I can call the UK direct from the network for 2pence a minute  but to call Thailand from the UK with Vodafone is £1.50 per minute.

The system is also very user friendly, you can log onto the network's websites and change package at any time without penalty or by using a short-code from the handset.

I think we have a lot to learn.

Do i get that speed on same wifi price?

kids

@willieaames

You need to check back in a few years time when the service is available in the UK.