Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

First Time User Of IPhone and IOS

63johnw
17: Community Champion

First Time User of IPhone

I have been a user of Nokia Symbian phones then moved to Android phones several years back.

I have always liked the look of IPhones but could never justify the extra cost to own one!

Recently I have been given the chance to use an IPhone 6+. These are my initial thoughts about the device as someone coming to IOS for the first time.

I am sure there are things that I have yet to find and any tips would be appreciated.

Unboxing

Opened up the retail box, it’s a big phone! Not sure if it would be suitable for my everyday use, the 6 may be more suited. I like the look and feel of the device; it feels like a quality phone, I like the screen and metal makeup of the device. A sim tray removal pin is easily visible to allow the tray to be withdrawn from the phone and the sim inserted. This was achieved easily with no problems.

There is one button on the right sight of the phone for phone wake up/sleep/on/off.

The speaker, charging socket and headphone sockets are on the bottom of the device. On the left are the volume up/down switches and the ringer mute switch (a feature I really like).

The home button is on the screen, centre at the bottom.

Switch On and Set up

I inserted my sim and switched on the device using the button on the right side of the phone.

The phone powered up and took me through an easy to follow set up procedure, including security and finger print recognition, which was simple to do and seems very effective.

I had an Apple account id which I think helped speed up the process and allowed me to synch music and TV programmes from my ITunes account.

I added my Google mail account easily which then synched my contacts etc. without any problems.

The screen is very good, nice and clear and adapts to light conditions very well, even when I went outside to have a look in direct sunlight, worked well in all conditions.

I like the keyboard for typing; it’s very responsive and even allows a poor typist like me to type reasonably quickly.

The only problem I had during set up, and it wasn’t a major one, was adding a second email account, I was trying to add it via the mail app icon but after a few minutes found that it had to be added in the settings menu. Once I found it then the second account was set up with no further problems.

Adding Facebook, Twitter etc. didn’t create any problems either.

Setting up of alarms was very simple and straightforward.

Calendar app looks good too.

Using the IPhone

I find the phone very easy to use, my only little problem is remembering that there isn’t always a back button that I have been used to with Android devices, but once I have become used to that then things have been great.

The phone works really well at everything I have asked it to do, no lag, very smooth, nice transitions; apps all do what they are supposed to.

The apps I wanted to install were all available in the App Store, as you would expect, and all the ones I wanted were free to install and use, it even let me transfer my WhatsApp subscription when I set it up.

I do miss the odd widget, but not to the point where I would say it’s a deal breaker, for example I like a weather/clock widget on my home screen but it’s only a press away with IOS anyway.

Battery life seems very good too, heavy usage including 5 hours of internet radio and the device still easily lasted 24 hours, so would expect more with lower use this week.

Sound quality through the external speaker is very good; through headphones it’s excellent, as you would expect with Apple.  The screen is great for watching movies/TV.

I have found three drag down/up/corner menus to give additional functionality, double press of the home button opens up what I have been calling recent usage details, allowing them to be swiped away.

I like the notification menu, gives lots of information and can be added to or reduced as required.

Siri seems to work really well, even with my accent! I must have something not quite set correctly as I tried to set a reminder to do something when I got home, it asked me to complete a home address, which I did but I didn’t get the notification when I got home, it was in one of the folders when I looked but I had expected Siri to remind me, I may be expecting something it can’t do?

Conclusion

In conclusion I will say it’s a great device and I like to operating system too. It’s simple to use and set up and didn’t really give me any problems. Comparing it to the top Android devices, I don’t think there is much difference (in my humble opinion) all the top phones these days are very slick, they all have quick processors and are normally of a high build quality. I didn’t find too many differences in the use of the IPhone to what I have been used to with Android and the apps are just about the same to use.

So would I get an IPhone? Yes I would, the way I use a smart phone now I don’t really need the extra customisation etc. you can get with Android, it will come down to cost for me, if I can get an IPhone for a comparable price to a top Android device then yes I think I would give IOS a try.

These are my personal views, not meant to cause any sorts of arguments, just an honest piece from someone using an IPhone for the first time, any tips would be appreciated, I have the device for 2 more weeks, and if I find anything further I will post it here.

24 REPLIES 24

hrym

You mentioned the lack of a back button.  Someone recently asked me to take a photo on their iPhone and I tapped the preview afterwards to check the result.  I couldn't see any way to get back to the camera, so I just went Home and then back into the app.  Was that the correct route, or is there a quicker one?

Also, am I right in thinking that one of the main differences between Android and iOS is the configurability and number of user options in Google's offering?   And that, if you don't want the extra complication that flexibility incurs, Apple is the more apprporiate solution?

63johnw

@hrym once the photo has been previewed there is a "done" icon top right of the preview, hit that and it went back to camera for me.

jeffkinn
No you aren't right. Android is no more configurable then iOS and in many ways iOS is more powerful and secure. As for a photo, when you take a photo it appears in a box in the lower left hand corner. If you press on it the photo appears full screen. At the top right is the word 'done' and when pressed the photo disappear and the camera reappears. The absence of a back button is just cosmetic. There are always ways of quickly getting back to where you were.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

I thinks 's concept is that you can practically pick up any iPhone and be able to use it from the Getgo.

This is why I think widgets are not on the home-screen.

I have a widget system on mine from the App Vidgets.

This puts widgets onto the pull down notification screen.

image.jpg

Android is I submit more configurable but can be argued less secure.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

The latest rumours are that new screen technology will allow Apple to dispense with the physical home button giving them more room for a bigger screen size in the same overall form factor.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers

I've heard of the possibility of introducing the force touch screen the  Watch has but I personally hope the Home Button remains.

For reasons such as a Soft Reset and how integrated it is to how some functions work.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

If the home button goes Apple will no doubt retain the functionality in another way.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Thanks, @jeffkinn and @63johnw.   It wasn't the moment to start learning about iOS, but I felt sure there was a less inelegant way than the one I found.   In better light, I'd probably have found the Done button!

jeffkinn
A new platform always takes a little getting used to. The truth is there is almost no difference between iOS and android in my view. I'd happily use both at the same time and swapping back to android would present no problem to me at all. If the Note 5 looks better then the next iteration of iPhone I'll do just that.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Nabs

Just a thought on the browsers @BandOfBrothers @63johnw have you noticed one particular browser to be faster than the other i.e. Is Chrome faster than Safari or are they both much the same?