Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Formula One 2011 Discussion Thread

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)

Morning All,

I don't know about any of you, but I'm starting to get really excited for the new F1 season which is just around the corner!

Forums I've used in the past have always had an F1 thread the members can use to talk about any news, upcoming races and so on, so now we have this off topic section, I thought I'd create one here too!

So, who do you follow and what are your hopes for the coming season?

I'm a die-hard McLaren fan, so am eagerly awaiting the new car launch on 4th February. From what the team were saying when I visited the MTC back in November, this should be a competitive year, so I'm hoping for Lewis to win his second championship.

110 REPLIES 110

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are going to be determined to win this season after finishing second and third in the final grand prix.

With the increased performance of the new car McLaren should be in a good position to compete from the first race and hopefully win the final grand prix.

Second or third wont do McLaren, its got to be first.

Real time race data direct to our mobile phones and lots of info on the Formula 1 website.

http://www.formula1.com/mobile_services/

Well, given the amount of hard work Lewis and Jensen put in to actually finish in the positions they did last season, baring in mind that they had two of the slowest cars (aerodynamically) on the track, I think if McLaren have sorted the aerodynamics on the MP6, they should be in with a chance.

The combination of the KERS and moveable rear wing this year could give some surprises.

Not surprised that team orders are here to stay. It was inevitable really, being one of the most difficult rules to enforce, things could quite easily be rehearsed off-track. On the same note, I wouldn't have been happy to see Alonso get the championship last year (neither would Massa I guess, as he was the one who was ordered to virtually hand it to him on a plate).

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.

RetiredTom
What's everyone think of the BBC commentary news? To be honest, I wasn't Jonathan Legard's biggest fan, so I'm really please that Brundle is taking the lead position and being backed up by David Coulthard.

I can't believe Coulthard still gets paid £4m a year as a reserve driver for Red Bull either! I might just write them a letter offering to undercut his wage by a million or two!

bertyb
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I think McLaren will be hard to beat with the reintroduction of Kers, something they were just about getting on top of the season before last,  of course this new car is coming quite late to testing so you never do know. 

I think Red Bull has continually made quick cars for the last couple of seaons, if they can give proven reliability they won't be far behind. 

RetiredTom

Looks like the McLaren Team have been really busy preparing over the winter!

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@bertyb wrote:

I think McLaren will be hard to beat with the reintroduction of Kers, something they were just about getting on top of the season before last,  of course this new car is coming quite late to testing so you never do know. 

I think Red Bull has continually made quick cars for the last couple of seaons, if they can give proven reliability they won't be far behind. 

Red Bull are still miles ahead in terms of chassis and until the rest figure out exactly what they are doing and replicate it they will still have the advantage

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

AnnS

I have BT internet and this popped up as a news article and I thought I would post the link for the benefit of members who may not have seen it.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/03022011/36/mclaren-begins-production-new-supercar-0.html

It getting exciting now !

RetiredTom
Anyone been watching the live feed on our Facebook page? I was going to give you all a heads up about it, but I've been in meetings all morning! Oh well.

2011 car looks different, weird side pods! Will reserve judgment til it hits the track though...

Ann, have you seen the factory where they're making the MP4-12C? It's next to the main McLaren building, and is absolutely massive! Would love to tour it once it's up and running, am going to suggest that as a VIP prize...

AnnS

Hi Tom,

Would love to see the new building, have just done a Google to see if anything came up but it didnt. 

That would be a super VIP prize.  I hope I am one of the winners and, of course,  you will be free to attend.