Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Genuine Apple Repairs

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

There has been a lot of publicity lately about iPhones being bricked by the latest version if iOS if the software detects a repair carried out by a non Apple source.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

I now use Apple products exclusively but this is an absolute disgrace and demonstrates the arrogance at Apple.

As it happens my iMac, that I bought in July, has developed a fault in the screen and is being taken in today for a repair by Currys. V. irritating.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

11 REPLIES 11

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

It was floated a few years ago that Apple would render phones useless if a software update detected any signs of the software having been jail broken.

There was a large number on posts on various Apple forms at the time that expressed much the same opinion as you are now. But in that case nothing seems to has come of it.

BandOfBrothers

Yes I recall something similar. 

Instead Apple put up a disclaimer for anyone wanting to jailbreak their idevices. Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery ...

I agree jeffkinn with you. It seems Apple more and more sandbox their products and iOS. I see this is connected to the finger print technology and the safeguarding of it, apparently. 

Not good news for the businesses that carry out repairs.

In my opinion if Apple want an owner to come to them for repairs then perhaps they should look at their pricing structure to make it a little more appealing. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn
Jail breaking I can sort of understand. Bricking a phone because someone has had the audacity to go somewhere other than Apple for a repair is beyond the pale as far as I'm concerned.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Apple are saying it's a security feature, and I can kind of see that.  After all, fingerprint unlocking should be uncrackable, even by a brute-force intrusion.  However, if - as Apple suggest - installing a dodgy fingerprint reader bypasses the system, then all credit to them for shutting off access.

But:

Is it really necessary to brick the phone completely? (Maybe, to prevent further attempts?)

Would it not be a good idea to make a feature of it in the documentation? (This could be a sales feature as well as warning users)

If it's such a great security feature, why wait for an OS upgrade?  (Surely it should kick in quicker than that?)   And anyway, you can get round it by just not updating iOS

Some people have reported "error code 53"'s on just a damaged fp reader, with no unofficial repair.   Apple do appear to have been offering free replacements in those circumtances though.

And finally ... Don't Apple devices back up to iCloud, so wouldn't most content be available there?  (ie less data lost than some of the articles imply)

BandOfBrothers

Hi

iCloud is definitely helpful and I'm sure I remember reading that fingerprint information isn't kept and apple don't have access to the fingerprint information either. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

I assume the security on it is local and separate from the OS, a bit like card info on ApplePay.   If you haven't got wifi, you may not have everything backed up on iCloud, of course, but data loss shouldn't be total.

kids

The finderprint security measure is akin to you needing a new key for your car which has central locking / alarm. A new key has to be coded to talk to the comptuer in the car, something your high street key cutter can not achieve,

The security feature only disables the handset so providing you have a backup in either iCloud or iTunes you can recover the backup on a new handset or on the same device once Apple have unlocked the software which they have said they will do on an individual basis.

Having said that it was sneaky of Apple to introduce the 'feature' without warning. But there again I think it is a false economy to have repairs carried out by anyone other than Apple or an authorised repair centre. Apple have always been  well known for refusing to help with problems if they detect work has been carried out but anyone other than themselves or their agents.

hrym

I've seen that story in two places (though they may have had the same source) and it seems that even Apple can't unlock a device that's come up with error code 53.   However, where the fp sensor was faulty, they do seem to have provided replacements.   Neither source mentioned being able to restore from iCloud, but it seemed the obvious thing.

hrym

Interestingly, today Apple are saying it was only intended to be for internal testing and are issuing a patch to stop it happening again.  Or, rather, you can now reset the device through iTunes, suggesting the "security" element is still there, which is maybe the best of both worlds.  And, if you've paid for an out of warranty replacement, contact them for a refund.   Wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35611756