cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Great News! Android Pay is arriving in the UK!

Nabs
17: Community Champion

In a post on the Official Android Blog this morning they have announced the launch of Android Pay in the UK

Android users in the UK are already enjoying many great features of Android from Google Photos to Google Play, and in the next few months Android smartphones will become even more useful with the launch of Android Pay. We’re bringing together payment networks, banks and retailers to help you pay simply and securely.

In the US Android Pay requires a device running 4.4 or newer and a compatible debit or credit card. Much like Apple Pay it will initially launch with a few major banks with more to join later.

For full info, including supported banks visit http://officialandroid.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/tap-pay-uk.html

43 REPLIES 43

Nabs
Every system is insecure to an extend, each new system will fix the issues of the previous whilst bringing it's own new challenges. Contactless, or more specifically Android Pay, addresses the issue of your card details being sent to the merchant by creating virtual account for each transaction, the details sent to the merchant are, on my understanding, not enough to bring any further charges beyond that one authorised transaction.

I personally like the idea of never having to take a card with me and using only my phone, it give me the piece of mind that if I were to lose my phone I can lock it remotely much quicker than I can stop a card.

hrym

And, of course, nothing's quite as insecure as cash!

But if I lose a fiver that is all I lose, if I drop my contactless card I could lose a lot more and if it is cloned it is even worse.

If this Android pay is linked with other apps, it could be even less secure than a contactless card if that is possible.

hrym

In what way would Android Pay be linked to other apps?   It works like a contactless card for in-person payment. Do we know if there's an option to use it for online purchases?   My guess would be not and that you'd just use the card or cards you happen have registered with it, but outside the app, as you do now.

Nabs

@hrym they have an API that developers can use to allow them to accept payments within their apps or on their website, it's not disimilar to paying with PayPal in that respect.

EDIT: see thios page https://developers.google.com/android-pay/payment-flows#new-user

hrym

A bit like "log in with Google+" then?   My initial reaction is "hmmm" :smileyindifferent:

Nabs

Afraid it's nothing like "log in with Google+", it is however exactly like Checkout with PayPalPay with Amazon or the late Google Checkout (which then changed slightly and became Wallet)

The difference is that you normally have to sign in to use pay pal, i do anyway, but then I only use it on my computer and i have nmot got the app on my phone or tablet.

hrym

I meant "like" inasmuch as you could simply activate it with the tap of a button.   Does it require further information (ie a repeat of the password) or is it immediately available?   I use PayPal  lot (though not within apps other than eBay) and it requires me to log in each time.  I'm aware of Pay With Amazon, but I've never seen it offered.

I'd be concered if anyone who got access to my phone could add Android Pay to an app and use it to spend my money with no further security checks.  Not having seen how it works, maybe that isn't a consideration after all?

hrym

According to this report on the BBC website, it is, or is about to be, live.