Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Maximum number of characters in texts before converting to MMS

RocknRollTim
4: Newbie

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me the maximum number of characters that texts support upto before the tariff/carrier converts them into MMS? I have tried numerous phones and tariffs in my time since the age of 13 and never found anyone asking this question on the Internet, if they have I feel they weren't using the correct terms which is why I probably couldn't find anything about this when searching the Internet. I'm currently a customer on Vodafone with a 4G SIM only plan.

Your answers would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Some phones are different but from looking I believe it's 160

Some info in https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Calls-texts-and-voicemail/54514083/Why-have-I-been-charged-for-a-text...

"you’ve exceeded the character limit (with some devices this can be 160 characters and others it can be higher)"

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for sharing this with us bandofbrothers1 but I have also discovered that Android phones say that they support upto 263 characters for texts before converting to MMS when doing a quick search on the Internet, can anyone please confirm this?

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

this is handset dependant and also depends on the settings you have. So the actual point at which the message is converted to an MMS will vary.  I have sent beyond 263 characters on an Android device and not had it convert the message to MMS.

PWIAC

Thanks for sharing this with us drey_p but can you confirm your SMS and MMS settings on your Android phone? It's just I want to compare them with my Android phone which is a Motorola G 4G (2nd Gen) and use this phone as my main phone.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

Out of curosity does anyone know the maximum numbers of characters in texts before Nokia smartphones, Lumias and Blackberry smartphones convert to MMSs?

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

@RocknRollTim – I’m not sure if any of the community have these models, to test this?

From checking different sites, it’s showing the Motorola G has a character limit of 160 characters.

Please see this page, for further information on Lumia phones and how to check your settings.

The best information we can give is shown from the page, @bandofbrothres1 linked too.

This advises to contact the manufacturer for the specific model.

63johnw

Just sent a message with a lumia 635 and 900+ characters and it sent as a text.

@63johnw - Thank you for also responding to my forum thread and thank you too for clarifying the information in your post. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

@Gemma - Thank you for responding to my forum thread and thank you for clarifying the information in your post. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim