cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

New Tech : 2016: The year when VR goes from virtual to reality.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

New Tech : 2016: The year when VR goes from virtual to reality.

I so want to have a play with this new Technology when it's available. Exciting times ahead for this next step in how we can interact with Technology. 

Excerpts from the Link ->

"But just as Kinect's technology has found lots of uses beyond games, virtual reality may still prove a ground-breaking technology in many areas of life.

Two London psychologists, Dr Ashley Conway and Dr Vanessa Ruspoli, certainly believe that is the case. They have developed a system that uses Oculus' Rift headset to treat patients with phobias.

Given the amount of investment by players from Facebook to Sony to HTC, it will be a big disappointment if VR does not finally become, well, a reality in many homes this year."

BBC Tech Link.

image.jpeg

Image Courtesy of Google. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

9 REPLIES 9

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@BandOfBrothers - It’s exciting stuff!

The rate at which technology is advancing is unbelievable! :Smiling:

thesoupdragon

I've been wanting to try Google Cardboard for some time now. I really must make a point of buying one.

Apparently it's amazing...?

I believe it works with iPhone too?

Google Cardboard

@thesoupdragon wrote:

I've been wanting to try Google Cardboard for some time now. I really must make a point of buying one.

Apparently it's amazing...?

I believe it works with iPhone too?

Google Cardboard

Really @thesoupdragon

I think you know how to stir my interest on mentioning the iPhone 😉

Current Phone  >

Hahaha... @BandOfBrothers

I thought you might like that! :smileyvery-happy:

Wink.gif

Hmmm around £3- £4 on one of the famous selling sites. 

Now checking out any available Apps. 

Current Phone  >

63johnw
I have one, got it a while back, not brilliant I am sad to say, not sure if it was the one I had but the magnetic sensor thing didn't do what it was supposed too.

It gives an idea of what can be done but don't expect it to be brilliant (IMHO).

BandOfBrothers

I have seen notes in the description @63johnw about the magnet not working on the iPhone due to the NFC Chip. 

As my iPhone 6 Plus has the NFC Chip I was hoping it would work but then I remembered I'm sure that I read Apple have sandboxed the iPhones chip for  Pay only 😒

Current Phone  >

I got a Google Cardboard type dohicky for about £25. While the quality of most of the free apps isn't great, it does give you an idea of how good it could be. I watched a 10 minute documentary on a ballet dancer and being able to turn around and see an audience from the performers perspective, really bought it to life in a way normal documentarys dont.

I don't have enough money for the Vive or Oculus so I'm hoping the Playstation one will be good. I've heard Samsung are doing one with the new Galaxy so I might look at that.

JD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@SundayFunday

We've actually just launched a poll to see how interested people are in VR (on the right of the screen). :Smiling:

You're right about Samsung VR - you can find more info about it on our Vodafone Social blog.

The blog also released a fascinating story a couple weeks ago about how VR works.

If you do get the Samsung Gear VR, post back to let us know how you find it.

Has anyone else had the chance to play with any of the phone/VR combos and has anyone had a chance to try the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift?